Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Samoa 83 Travel Update

Group 83 going to Samoa and the group going to Tonga are scheduled to begin staging in L.A. on October 5. So, I planned to have the movers at my house the morning of October 4 so I could have a relaxing afternoon in a hotel near the airport, flying out the morning of October 5.

Then it occurred to me...what if staging starts early on October 5? Based on nothing but my own delusional thinking, I'd been assuming that October 5 would be our departure date, rather than the date we needed to arrive. What an iodot, as a friend would say. Per Dan, staging normally starts in the early afternoon. If I can get a flight from Orlando to LAX and make it there in time for staging, that's what they'll do. If not, they'll book me to fly in on Monday, October 4. Hmmm.

Dan said we should receive our travel information emails by Friday, latest, this week. That should help clarify things. But best-case scenario, even if they can get me a flight on October 5, that's going to be one long day. I guarantee I'll be tossing and turning the night before I leave. Heck, I do that before I go on a vacation, because I'm excited. And I'm talking about exotic destinations like...Detroit. So, doubt if I'll slumber before Samoa.

Then, it's about a 4 1/2 hour flight to LAX, assuming a direct flight. With the three hour time difference plus sleep deprivation, I'll be starting out at a deficit. Hate to have my head hit the table during the first session.

So, I'll probably fly in on the 4th, even if I have to pick up the hotel tab. Guess I better call the movers.

Another question I had was based on a comment in Matt's blog. That Air New Zealand was now only allowing 1 checked bag. 2nd bag is $100. Dan assumed (and see where assuming got me, above) that PC would allow us 2 bags and pay the fee. Hopefully the travel email will clarify, or we can confirm with the travel folks.

Meanwhile, the sorting and packing continue.

1 comment: