Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Some-oa Shopping!

My friend from Boston is here and she's a shopping maniac. That's a good thing, since I HATE to shop. She loves nothing better than a day spent going store to store, mall to mall, checking out every item. My idea of shopping is race in, buy it, race out and don't do it again for six months.

With her enthusiasm spurring me on, we spent the last two days at a flea market, mall and innumerable stores. I now have everything I'll be packing. Great news, for current volunteers - I bought an external hard drive and will be filling it with music and movies to share. Bad news for blog readers. I bought a Flip video camera, so will be boring you with hours of "isn't this a pretty beach" video. Today, the challenge will be to see if I can fit it all into my luggage.

I've gotten more communications from the Peace Corps in preparation for leaving in 12 days. More forms to complete. One suggested I purchase two important books for training to bring along. Which I did, although it cost $97 and will take up space/weight in my luggage. More information on reimbursement (or not) for luggage. My advice to other applicants is to have a stash of cash to help with unexpected, last minute expenses.

The good news is that we'll be in a hotel in Apia for our first 11 days of training. With WIFI and air-conditioning. Then, we'll head to four villages in the Safata district of Upolu, which is on the southern shore of the island. Looks beautiful.

I also got a terrific email from Kit.  She and her husband were in Group 15 in 1974.  They're my age and she had some insightful words of encouragement for me as a "more mature" volunteer.  Thanks, Kit - I hope you'll come to Samoa while I'm there.  We can compare life stories and experiences in Samoa.

Must run. I have to do a packing dry run, trying to figure out what goes in carry-on, and how to sort out everything else, since I'll only be taking some of my stuff with me for the 7 weeks of training in Safata. The rest will be stored at the hotel in Apia until I head for my permanent home. Then, we're off to the attorney's office to sign the Power of Attorney. Tonight, dinner with more friends at my favorite restaurant in New Smyrna Beach. Life is very good.

On Sunday we did the Winter Park canal tour. Weather was perfect and it was beautiful.
I'm gonna miss my pool, but am happy to report I have a new hat.  This one looked great, until it went into the lake while I was bass fishing one day.
  Some of my new purchases:  headlamp, mask and snorkel.  No, they were not meant to be worn at the same time.  I'll be the biggest nerd in Samoa.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see that Winter Park canal ride picture, it was immediately familiar. Our daughter and son-in-law used to live just a short jog from Winter Park when they sold just about everything they owned and joined the Peace Corps. They were in group 79 in Western Samoa, now back in the states.
    Good luck on your upcoming adventure!

    ReplyDelete