Thursday, October 21, 2010

3 Weeks Already



Photo from last night's fundraising concert

Hard to believe we’ve been here three weeks already.  Having said that it seems like we’ve been together for ages and we’re all ready to leave the confines of the hotel and move out to our training villages this weekend.  A new environment and new faces will be a welcome change for all of us.  It will also be good to be in an immersion situation, where I’m forced to speak Samoan on a regular basis.

A few of us were talking about homesickness the other day.  Two felt huge guilt because they aren’t feeling homesick.  It’s not that they don’t love the family and friends back home, just that we’ve been busy and so bombarded with “new” that it has filled the space where homesickness might take hold.

I miss friends, of course, but have been in touch via email and for me to be away 3 weeks is so common, I’m not feeling at all homesick.  I’d kill for a cheese enchilada, but other than that, all is good.  If you’re in San Francisco, please stop by Don Ramon's and have a plate of green enchiladas for me.  A margarita would be great, too.

There are moments when I realize I’m really not at home, though.  The other evening, walking to a restaurant, I was looking at the sky and noticed the con trails.  Huh?  Wait a minute, I see con trails from planes flying into Orlando.  There weren’t any here, it was just a cloud.  Last night, lying in bed, I heard a plane.  Wait!  A plan?  Now I know how Tattoo felt on Fantasy Island.  Da plane!  Da plane!

Yesterday in class, we heard a police siren.  The room became immediately silent as we each looked around.  It was the first siren we’ve heard since coming to Apia.  Well, except for the air raid type of siren that goes off every morning at 9 am.  Presumably a test for the siren to be used for emergencies like tsunamis.  And how young do you have to be to not know what an air raid siren is?  Or remember practicing crouching under our school desks in case of nuclear war.  That was misguided, at best.

I made a reference to the movie “10” the other day.  Nobody got it.  Bo Derek in cornrows, coming out of the water?  Blank looks.  Dudley Moore?  Nada.  Geesh.  I also mentioned Happy Days and Charlie's Angels.  More blank looks.  

We had both medical and safety and security presentations this morning.  Given everything we were told, I’m ready to move back to the safety and security of the U.S.  But, then again, they described all the things that could happen, not the things that typically do happen.

Speaking of medical, I went on the Samoan Diet yesterday.  That’s what I’m calling it, when the stomach rebels and food is neither appealing or practical (if you get my drift).  Apparently, it’s the most common problem among volunteers.  Mine only lasted a day, so doubt if I lost much weight.

I did hear a rumor, from a very reliable source, who let a bit of information about my host family slip recently.  I think I’ll be very happy.  I don’t have details and we won’t know more until we’re officially told tomorrow.  Can’t wait.

Other things that remind me that I’m not at home.  Samoans only have a “borrowed” word for lettuce, because it isn’t common here.  Who knew one of my cravings would be for a head of iceberg.  Or pretty much any vegetables.  Being the in the host village, where our families will provide our meals rather than us foraging among fast food places will be another nice change.  One that will hopefully provide some green food.

Here's some video of talented fellow trainees.  They did a benefit concert last night to raise money for instruments, etc., for a youth orchestra in Apia.  In addition to the music and the kids, the highlight seemed to be the cupcakes at the reception following the concert.  Cupcakes are always a highlight.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm going to miss these daily posts to the blog. I feel a bit like I am going to the village on Saturday. Well, I guess it will be a bit different for me as compared to you!

    But, I will be in my no-blog posts from Nancy village. I have been demonstrating my support of you by eating the remainder of the HUGE bag of M&M's that remained from your luncheon. While I need to consider a more normal diet that does not include pounds of candy, Halloween is coming and the tempations are huge.

    ReplyDelete