Monday, October 4, 2010

Ready as I'll Ever Be



Today's the day.  In a few hours I'll be heading toward Samoa, via Los Angeles.  And I'm ready.  I think.  As friends will attest, I've been more emotional recently than a 13 year old girl at her first dance.  Displaying a Zen-like calm one minute, getting teary eyed the next and five minutes later, laughing like a hyena.  Just before I turned to snap at an innocent victim.  Yup, it's been a roller coaster.

For those who think I'm being overly dramatic, here's a challenge.  Forget the emotions of leaving the people you love.  Forget leaving all your creature comforts.  Forget leaving a place where everyone speaks your language and you know exactly when to expect the Kohl's coupons.  Let's just deal with packing for this challenge.

The challenge:  You'll be gone 27 months and need to take all you need.  You can pack 2 checked bags.  You can bring one large bag and one no larger than a roll-aboard.  They may not weigh more than 80 lbs, combined.  You may have 1 carry on.  You MAY NOT bring a carry on and a backpack, computer case, etc.  That would create a penalty situation, in which your belongings will be confiscated and disposed of by cranky airport employees.  In addition to clothes, you will need electronics, kitchen items (knife, frying pan, can opener at minimum), sheets, towels, ziplock bags, 10 lbs of training books, a Bible, 5 lbs of PC paperwork and any other items you want to remind you of home.

 You can have things sent to you, but there's a penalty.  You must pay the USPS $48  for a tiny box that can weigh no more than 20 lbs.

Ready, set, pack!  When you're sitting on the floor, surrounded by all your treasures and you're trying to decide between underwear and a frying pan, you may be on the verge of tears, too.

You'll need a scale, so after packing each bag you can weigh it.  Penalty if you weigh the bags on carpet, since that reduces the weight by about a third.  Excellent tip, though, if you're feeling fat. Just weigh yourself on the carpet.  Overnight you can go from 160 to 120!

You are allowed to go through the cycle of sort, pack, weigh as many times as needed.  If you use the "f" word and take a martini break, a penalty will be incurred.

I'm ready for the judges at the airport.  They'll let me know if I need to get rid of the frying pan, too.

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, I wish you the best of luck!!! I can't believe you're already leaving. I remember chatting with you two months ago about where we were going to end up. Now you're off in Samoa!

    I'm happy to report that I received an invitation, not to Tonga obviously, but instead to Thailand leaving in January. I'm actually extremely excited about it - probably more so than I was for Tonga ... so all is working out well :)

    Have an amazing experience in Samoa. I'll be sure to keep up with your blog!

    ReplyDelete