Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Questions and Answers About Life in Samoa

Jamie, Mafi and Me.  They're PC staff.

Are there ants in Samoa?  Yes.  Actually, my computer is crawling with them right now.  I’ve heard they like to eat the silicon inside the computer.  If you have any ideas on how to kill the current infestation, I’ll begin storing my laptop in a giant ziplock bag.

Do Samoans speak with their eyebrows? Yes.  When they lift their eyebrows, they mean “yes”.  I must be cautious with facial expressions.

Do you miss television?  I have not seen television in 3 weeks.  Shockingly, I haven't missed it at all.  I fill the time trying to remember how to say "Is there any toilet paper?" in Samoan.  I'd write it here but can't remember it.  Does not bode well for when I move to the village Saturday.

Are Samoans as direct as Americans?  Hard to say.  My limited experience shows that mostly they agree with whatever I say.  I’m fond of being agreed with, so it works for me.  If I’m asking about the next bus and they agree and are incorrect, I may be less happy.

Is Samoa a good place to retire?  Again, too soon to tell.  It is beautiful.  The weather is similar to Florida, except their version of “cold” is when it gets down to 70 degrees.  And, housing costs are a bit lower.  At least I think they are.  Real estate prices in Florida could have fallen again since I left home.

I can tell you that the whole “respect your elders” thing is true here.  With my fellow trainees, they’re respectful, but pretty much treat me like one of them.  Today, we did an exercise.  Most sat on the floor.  A few sat in chairs.  I didn’t feel like sitting on the floor so stood, since there were no more chairs available.  That wouldn’t happen if I was with a group of Samoans.  I’d get the seat. 

Consider the classic scene in Fried Green Tomatoes when Kathy Bates rams the VW repeatedly, after the “younger, faster” girls stole her parking spot.  Wouldn’t have to happen here.  I think that could be a big factor in planning retirement locations.

What do you want for Christmas?  Ok, this is a bit self-serving, and I realize it’s before Halloween, but it takes a long time for packages to arrive here.  What I’d really like is school supplies.  Stuff I can use to create exercises and keep the kids geeked up.  Stickers, temporary tattoos, markers, Crayons, etc. 

How was “mail call” today?  While we’re in Apia for training, mail is delivered to us twice a week, on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  It feels very much like camp, with one of the trainers calling out the names of who got mail and the excited recipients racing over to pick it up.  Two trainees got packages today.  I have received bupkis.  I know that stuff is in transit, so I have something to look forward to.  For the next 7 weeks, we’ll only have mail call once a week.

The majority of us haven’t received mail, so moms and dads out there, start writing and get those CARE packages in the mail.  I know that some of the trainees are sending snail mail and wouldn’t you feel horrible if you received a letter from Samoa before your child received something from home?  Yes, this was written to inspire guilt.  If it helps get your kids more mail, excellent.  If you feel really guilty and want to send me a letter, too, cool beans.  BTW, I can be bribed.  Parents, if you send me CARE packages, I’ll tell you every detail of what your child is doing here.  Please don’t let them know I wrote this.  They’ll never let me have a chair again.  Plus, I won’t be invited to any more parties.

Do you miss the mimeograph machine you used in 1972?  Yes.  In 1972 I thought it was an annoyance and my hands turned purple every time I made copies of handouts for my students.  Now, it would be a beautiful thing, since we have no access to copy machines or printers.  Trainees have some cool hardcopy materials but to copy them, we have to do it the really old fashioned way, by hand.  I’m considering dressing like a monk and doing it by candlelight.

When can you have visitors?  The rule is I can't travel and shouldn't have visitors for my first six months, so that takes us out to March or so.  The best season to visit is apparently winter (summer, in the U.S.) since that's when the weather is perfect.  Hopefully, I'll have a calendar this week of dates I won't be working.  I'll share that as soon as possible.  Thanks for asking, Paula!  I hope more of you are planning to visit, too.

Are you still cranky?  No.  I slept like a rock last night and feel like a new woman.  I mean, I’m always a little bit cranky, but had no desire to hurt anyone today.  By the way, thanks to an email from Kit, a RPCV who was in Samoa in the 1970's with her husband when they were just out of college, the word for cranky in Samoan is "musu".  I'll try to avoid being known as Miss Musu Pants.


Danny and Sam
My man, Mica.  He's a sweetheart.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blogs. My niece is in group 83 also but being in the same age category as you, I get a better insight as to what is happening over there. That and the fact that your blogs are very entertaining. Great sense of humor.

    Delma....Jenny's aunt

    ReplyDelete