Friday, October 22, 2010

Red Letter Day

Beach on the south side of Upolu, near my new village.

It’s a big day today.  Not only did I get my village assignment, so I know who I’ll be with for the next seven weeks, and where, I also got my first mail.

We had mail call today and my man Mica got a lot of dirty looks when Tevita kept calling “Joseph” (his American first name), “Joseph”, “Joseph”.  He got 4 letters.  Several other people got mail, too, and I was just watching the rain fall, trying not to sob into my notebook, when my name was called. 

Many thanks and kudos to Nan, a friend from Brandon who sent me a beautiful card and said she hoped it was my first piece of mail.  It was postmarked Sept. 29, by the way, which gives you an idea how long mail takes.  Also, we’ve heard that as we get closer to Christmas, all the Samoans living abroad send lots of packages, so it slows delivery.  There just aren’t that many planes that fly to Samoa, so it can delay the mail. 

So, about our villages.  We’re going to be in the Safata district on the south side of the island.  I can’t give you the village name for security reasons.  Seems Peace Corps is concerned that my many admirers will overrun the village.

Anyway, that section of the island is where the beautiful beaches and most expensive resorts are.  The village I’ll be in with four others is right on the bay.  Bay of what you ask?  I don’t know yet, but will find out.  I hope to be fishing on it next week.  Update - it's the Bay of Safata.

I’m tickled that I’m in a village with Chelsea.  I’m also sharing the village with Lopati (aka Robert), Cia (aka Patricia, the other mature volunteer) and Lindsey, whose Samoan name escapes me.  Funny that some of our Samoan names have really stuck, while for others, we have kept their American names.  I’m still Nesi and fine with that. Note to Mica's mom:  I was very disappointed Mica and I didn't get placed in the same village, but I'll see him every Friday and when I start blogging again, will keep you posted.

I know very little more about where I’m going.  I checked the internet and learned that there’s two villages with the same name, very close to each other.  I believe I’ll be in the smaller village, which has 320 people.  The larger village has 942.  Wowza.  I know nothing about the family I'm going to, other than names of two people and their cell numbers.

We’re headed out for pizza tonight for our celebration dinner.  We all feel that tomorrow really begins our Peace Corps experience.  

Things I’ll miss about being here:  hot water for showers, air-conditioning and being with Chelsea.  Things I’m looking forward to:  a room of my own, more opportunities to practice Samoan, the practicum in a Samoan school and learning more about fa’a Samoa.

About the room alone.  There’s been no really clear answer about having our own rooms.  They say we’ll have one, with a door that locks, but then say we may be sleeping on mats in the main room with the family.  The sleeping attire is the same as daytime attire, but less formal.  I can sleep in capris and a t-shirt.  I’m really hoping for a room/bed that’s private.

Wish us luck.

1 comment: