Saturday, October 2, 2010

Looking for the Humor

I began to have an out-of-body experience as I was calculating how to pack too much stuff into too little luggage, so decided to give it a rest and share some of what I think are hilarious questions/comments I've heard when telling people I'm going into the Peace Corps.   I swear, I did not make these up.

Will you be coming home on weekends?
Really?  After I just told you I was going to Samoa in the South Pacific?

Are they giving you a gun?
No, but I'm hoping for my own machete.

Will you be the oldest person there?
Presumably some Samoans are over 60.

Are you going to meet a man?  
Actually, given the relative populations of Florida and Samoa, I think my statistical odds of finding a man are better if I stayed home.

I hear a lot of PC volunteers get married to other volunteers.
I've heard that too, and I do like younger men.  But my idea of a younger man is, oh, about 55.

But if you don't have electricity, how will you blow dry your hair?
Actually, I'm likely to have electricity.  But if I don't, I think blow drying my hair will be the least of my issues.

Aren't you way too old to be in the Peace Corps?
I didn't respond to this one.  Just shuffled away on my walker.

My son can't get in the service because of his criminal record and no GED, so we thought we'd send him to the Peace Corps.
Anyone who has gone through the application/screening process may laugh out loud at this one.

My daughter was in the Peace Corps.  They sent her to France for 6 months.
I used to lie to my mom sometimes, too.

That's it for now.  I'm headed off to the AARP concert (Crosby, Stills and Nash.  Judy Collins.  Richey Havens.)  Gives new meaning to rocking with the oldies!

7 comments:

  1. Those just made my day :) Especially the last two. I got into a "discussion" a few weeks ago with someone who told me not to get my hopes up for Africa because their roommate joined and only got sent to Chicago....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad you weren't over there last spring, when we went over to see our daughter and son-in-law who were in group 79. It would have been a pleasure to see you....since during the time we were there we ran into numerous volunteers everywhere we went. Maybe you will meet John the Welder while you there! (He's older than 55).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny.
    Do you receive the comment about how unsafe it may be in "Somalia"? I get that question from people. My son Paul is in group 81 on Savai'i.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way too funny Nancy. France and lying to my mother, I loved that! Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nancy, you are an inspiration to us all! What lucky people in Samoa to have your presence in their future! NEAR future! Keep your wit, and it will see you through. I am looking forward to your book. Please tell me you are writing one! Have a great journey, and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete