Thursday, February 1, 2024

Thursday, February 1 - At Sea

 I've been having the most vivid dreams.  Last night I dreamed I was in a cooking contest.  Am I subconsciously missing my kitchen?  In my dream, I burned the chicken cutlet I made for a main but made a delicious savory panna cotta starter that had a layer of crab.  I may have to try that at home.  Is savory panna cotta a thing?

I'm enjoying a quiet day, a bit of time on the chilly-for-me balcony (70 is too cold!) and doing my nails.  Yes, I am too cheap to pay the spa to do them.  One treat today was running into Melinda on my walk.  She's a bartender and took great care of me during Happy Hour in the Crow's Nest on the 2020 WC.  This morning, she gave me a cool key chain.  

The Captain gave his typical noon update.  He promised more news later but said that starting on February 3 we'll likely have rougher seas due to wind/weather near Hawaii.  Then he talked about the green flash that happens sometimes at sunset.  The legend is that when someone escapes Davy Jone's locker and returns to life, there is a flash.  The reality is that when there is a clear horizon, as the sun disappears the last color on the light spectrum is green, which can be seen briefly.  Usually only for a second or two but sometimes can be seen for up to 10 seconds.  I've seen it before and will look for it at 7:40pm tonight.  Sunrise tomorrow isn't until 7:40 a.m.  I'm looking forward to when we turn our clocks back again and have an earlier sunrise.

And now, photos!

I woke up around 5 a.m. and just stayed in bed, thinking happy thoughts and enjoying the movement of the ship.  When I got up at 6 it was still pitch black.  I took this at 7


At 7:30 it was overcast

At 8, when I headed to breakfast, it was still cloudy

Mmmmmm.  Oatmeal.  My go-to breakfast at home and on cruises

At home I don't have macadamia nuts with my oatmeal

We still have a lot of ocean to cover before we get to Kona

The sky cleared up but this is cooler than I like

One of the beautiful flower arrangements.  I ran into Antoine, the guy responsible.  He takes great pride in his work, justifiably so

Enjoying time on the balcony with my down comforter.  70 isn't cold but with a breeze, it's a bit nippy.  No birds or whales so far today but I'm happy to keep watch

Lunch was food from the Lido.  Lamb!

Pumpkin pie is one of my favorites and this tasted like good home-made pie

Dinner in the MDR started with Crab and Shrimp Ceviche.  With mayonnaise?  Sure tasted like shrimp salad to me.  Very good, just not a ceviche

Jodi made me a rose

I was so excited about my main I dug in before taking a photo.  I had haddock with clams and mussels and a really good risotto.  Dessert was listed as an appetizer but I had it for dessert.  It was described as a cold banana soup.  It's blended vanilla ice cream and banana.  No wonder it tastes so good

This was the view when I left for dinner at 7 pm


No comments:

Post a Comment