Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Last Housing Update, I Swear

I'm happy to report that I got a call from my new family on Sunday morning, telling me they'd worked all night and my house was ready to move into.  I was a bit leery, but checked out of the hotel and took my bags with me.  Cab was courtesy of a very nice woman from American Samoa.  We'd been chatting and since she was a teacher, too, wanted to pay my taxi to the new house.  Very generous!

When I arrived, the house looked great.  There were a few minor issues the first couple of days, but they've continued to work and things are wonderful.

I woke up at 5:30 a.m this morning and stepped out of bed.  Not off the floor, out of bed.  I went to the bathroom, without walking outside.  The bathroom is new and sparkling clean.

Last night I used my new kitchen to make a huge batch of pasta salad with tuna for the teachers I worked with.  They've asked me to cook everyday.  I can't afford either the time or money for that, but plan to provide lunch every couple of weeks or so.

Rather than bore you with details of the house, I'll work on getting photos uploaded.  Just know that I was not as calm and pleasant as my blog indicates.  I think hissy fit is the phrase I'm looking for.  Having privacy and close proximity will make life so much easier. 

Thanks for all your positive thoughts and comments.  Now I can start telling you about more interesting things.  Like, did you know that the gauges on busses here don't work?  At least not on any I've ridden in.  Not the gas gauge, speedometer, nothing.  

More to come soon, along with photos!

3 comments:

  1. I am happy that you are finally in your house.

    I found your blog a couple of of days ago. Started from the beginning so it took me a couple of days.
    I am currently in the PC application process. I enjoy reading PCV blogs/journals and I just wanted to let you know that you have another follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The application process is a challenging and frustrating time. Lots of hope and lots of delays. Good luck and keep me posted. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray!
    Your own space, at last, and it sounds so nice. Best wishes getting settled. I have been traveling while watching the calendar creep ever so slowly forward as I continue to wait for an invitation. I am now in Jacksonville Beach visiting with my daughter and son-in-law. I continue to get vicarious enjoyment from reading your postings. Looking forward to some photos.
    Continued best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete