Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Odds and Ends

Every day I notice stuff that I find amusing, amazing or just different. I often wish I could just shout out to you what I’m seeing. Maybe someday they’ll invent a way to do that. Oh, they did. It’s called Twitter.
Anyway, here’s some stuff that caught my eye:

• One of the people who sells snacks at school is a typical Samoan guy. Good looking and kinda burly, without being fat. I find it hilarious that he uses a child’s tiny teddy bear backpack to store his change.
• I realized that I haven’t used a drawer since I came to Samoa. Desks here are usually just tables and kitchens rarely have cabinets, let alone drawers. I realized it when I was fantasizing about my new house and where I’d put stuff. I was dreaming of a junk drawer when I realized I won’t have drawers. Or a closet.
• It is rare to cook for one person here. Living alone is very unusual. So I sort of understand the reaction of the butcher at Frankie’s, but it doesn’t make me like it any better when he rolls his eyes when I ask for one piece of chicken. Every time, he repeats “One?” and rolls his eyes. Then looks at me like I’m the most pathetic loser in Samoa as he hands it to me. When I get a fridge someday, I’m going to buy two pieces. Maybe that will make him happy.
• Last Sunday I was in a friend’s apartment in Apia. He started living there when he was in the PC. Not that I’m jealous but he lives in a palace, by PC standards. 2 bedrooms, ceiling fans, huge bathroom with hot water, built in shelves, a pantry and internet. Yes, I’m house obsessed. Anyway, he cranked up his computer to show me some photos of his life back in the U.S. Then turned on the internet and we started researching places we both want to visit. At one point we realized we’re on an island in the South Pacific. A place most people dream of visiting and we were busy planning where to go from here. That’s wanderlust for you.
• Yes, the apartment did belong to a man. Told you I was hot. Kidding. He’s a great guy and a friend, not a romance.
• You can hear the heat here. Literally. The house has a tin roof. As the sun heats it, it makes quite a lot of noise. My brother always wanted to live in a house with a tin roof so he could listen to the rain on it. I wish he was alive to tell about the noise the sun makes.
• I gave a pair of earrings to the teacher who sewed my school puletasis. When I handed them to her she asked how much I paid. Sort of like when my Samoan sister from training village told me what she’d paid for my birthday cake. Everyone talks about money openly here. When I explained PC doesn’t pay me, just gives me money for food, everyone wanted to know how much. Frank discussions about money are not considered rude here. Please excuse me when I come home and ask you how much you paid for your house, car, blouse, etc.
• There are a lot of rats here. I’ve seen two so far today and it’s only 2 p.m. I use three of the “edible drippings” recycled buckets to store all food stuff that rats could get into. They do keep the rats out. Unfortunately, they have a certain odor that becomes absorbed by the food. I realized that everything I’ve stored in them, from M&Ms to bread has a faint taste of “edible drippings bucket.” Not awful, but slightly off-putting.
• Speaking of M&Ms, two large bags that I was storing for a rainy day have disappeared. I don’t believe I ate them in my sleep one night. I now lock my door even when I go to the bathroom. Annoying, but my own fault. Not the first time that small things have disappeared from my room. I’ve been warned by several Samoan friends not to allow anyone under 30 in my new house or the temptation to walk away with palagi stuff could be too great. If you recall, someone walked away with my shoes one day during training, so I’m taking their advice seriously.
• I had my weekly meal with my host family today. It was a type of large eel. Quite tasty, although I preferred the pieces that had been cooked through. I asked where I could get a spear like the ones used by the local fisherman. I explained that while snorkeling I saw a number of fish and would like to learn to catch them. My host “mom” almost spit out her eel she was laughing so hard. Then she realized I was serious. I asked if they liked sea (pronounced “say-uh” - sea slug). I’d seen several and could bring them some. It’s really expensive at the market. Again, hysteria ensued. “ How could you find a sea slug?” “Diving with a mask.” “You’re old and a woman.” “Yes, I’m an old woman fisherman.”

They thought it was just funny until I pointed out that if I learn to fish they won’t have to buy as many fish at the market. Hmmmm. Perhaps there’s something in this idea of the old lady fishing.
• The subject of my housing came up today (Feb. 27) at lunch. My “dad” said they have all the supplies now and it should be built and I could move next month. I pointed out that next month starts next week. “Oh, not that soon. “ “Maybe April?” “Maybe.” Said with a shrug. Please let those who think it could be done next week be right.

1 comment:

  1. Another wonderful glimpse into your daily experiences.
    Is your friend in Apia no longer in the PC? Is he intent on remaining in Samoa? If so, is he employed and if so, what is he doing? (or, did he hit a lottery?).
    Best wishes with the house.

    ReplyDelete