Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Photos!

Life is going well. The girl with the broken arm was taken to the hospital, eventually and they transferred her to the hospital in Apia. She's home and doing well. The kids are behaving, we had a major rainstorm and my house didn't leak and all right in my world. Hope you enjoy the photos!

A friend admitted she didn't know how bananas grew.  Here's a photo.
Occasionally we have special treats at tea time.  This is vaisalo.  Fabulous stuff, made of just the water from a niu (young coconut), some stuff like tapioca and boiled down until it thickens.  I'll be making this.  Low cal, healthy and delicious.
 The stickers you've sent are very popular.  These are on a math notebook.

 


I haven't seen a doll since I got to Samoa, so thought it was finny to see this tiny doll's arm near the beach fale.
 


This is for the Orlando firefighter whose wedding I'll miss.  These guys are the firefighters in Savaii.  Playing volleyball and chillin'.
 


Samoans are great at flower arranging, most with no training.  Arrangements like these are made by church members every week.  This lady sells hers in the market in Apia.  It would cost about $30 USD.
 


Hotel where I stayed one night in Apia.  About $50 USD.  No mattress, just box springs.  One sheet and mattress cover.  Sheets are sold here individually and I've never stayed in a home where I was given more than a bottom sheet. This is the hotel where I had to press the button to keep the water on while I showered.
 


Rare luxury to have an oven here, so people are creative.  They sell these deep fried cinnamon buns at school for about 20 cents US.  Delicious!  I try to avoid them.
  We (the kids) decorated because a meeting was being held at our school.  Nice, eh?
 


View from "my" beach.  5 minute walk from my new, wonderful house.
 


The "snack" that was served at morning tea at a teacher's meeting I attended.  coconut, papaya, avocado, a banana, 2 hard boiled eggs, crackers, sausages and fish sandwiches.
 


The lunch that was served 1 1/2 hours later.  Clockwise, from the whole fish in the right corner: lobster, octopus, limu, egg fu yung, fried checken, sausage, taro and half an orange.
 


My new kitchen and Anna, the woman whose family owns the home.
 


View from the back corner to the front door.  They laid new "carpet".
 


The new bathroom they added for me.
 
More photos to come!

 
 

3 comments:

  1. Ah, yes.
    Just as expected, these photos are the icing on the cake!
    (Of course, all previous photos have also been a wonderful accompaniment to your written descriptions)
    What a wonderful and palpable portrayal you have been providing of your experiences in Samoa.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences by posting your words and photos.
    Continued best wishes for your service in the Peace Corps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the house looks great. You are moving up in the world. I can imagine your creating wonderful dinners and maybe a new dining concept too! Let the creativity flow. Pictures make it all very REAL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, Nancy! I am so far behind on your blog, but thrilled to see your updates even if I have to read them in batches. Sending you much love and many prayers as always! Love, Lauren

    ReplyDelete