Friday, March 18, 2011

What a Week!

Hard to give this week a popo rating. Guess it averages out to a 3. Highlights are the new house. I'm feeling very comfortable there and it makes such a difference.

I went snorkeling after school yesterday. Not a bad way to relax after a hot day of teaching.

The downside was this morning at school. A year 5 girl came in and one of the teachers and the former principal were talking to/about her. I glanced over and realized her arm was broken. A compound fracture of the forearm. She wasn't crying. They were questioning how she broke it and why she was playing rugby with the year 8 boys. I was thinking that the kid had to be in incredible pain.

I thought I understood them say they'd send her home (walking) so her mom could massage the arm. That's the most common treatment for bone breaks here. I asked if they were taking her to the hospital. They seemed to consider that and the teacher took her away.

I walked out to see what was happening and was told they were taking her to her mother, who would do the massage. They did suggest the hospital to her. I asked if it was lack of money that kept her from going to the hospital. Yes, along with the belief that massage is a great alternative.

When I was in the training village, I saw a man of about 20. Handsome and strong with a pronounced limp, caused by a broken bone that wasn't correctly set. The result of massage instead of a cast.

On a different note, I can still tell who voted in the election a few weeks ago. They all look like they got their right thumb caught in a car door. Black at the base of the nail. Seems it is the indelible ink used when they voted. Apparently a lot of people voted.

I'm glad it's Friday and looking forward to some lesson planning/preparation and snorkeling this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment