Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Little Positivity Please

I need a lot of alone time. I get cranky without it. I haven’t had any for ten days now. When I don’t have enough time alone to process the day I get annoyed. When compounded by spending the majority of my time with a group of people a generation younger, who find ways to amuse themselves that I can’t fathom, it exacerbates my frustration. So I write snarky entries.
In an effort to get back on the positivity train, here are some things that I’ve found great about this week:
• I met the congressional representative from American Samoa. Made me investigate what rights our territories have. Could be a good contact to have after PC.
• Lunches during training have been provided by the hotel. The chef is awesome. He uses a 2 burner gas hotplate. He produces vegetarian and meat-eaters versions every day and every day has been terrific. I’ll miss his cooking.
• I passed 2 young women late this afternoon as I walked to the grocery store. The younger girl appeared to be about 14. She made eye contact, smiled and tilted her head back, which is a typical friendly greeting here. I did the same. 30 minutes later I was walking back to the hotel and I slowed to watch a volleyball game in progress. I noticed the same girl, playing on one of the teams. She gave me a big smile and the typical head tilt. We were no longer strangers, but friends, connected only by passing in the street. It felt good.
• I’ve spent time with wonderful people, who I consider friends. People that I’d never met just a few months ago. Five times this week people asked if I was Chelsea’s mother. No, I’m not. I’m her BFF. But her mom and I are very close in age. And I’d be proud to have her as my daughter.
• Someone hugged me today. She said “I’m so glad I know you.” I’d never have met her if I hadn’t joined the Peace Corps.
• I am in an air-conditioned room. I’ll be happy again with cold showers and no climate controlled conditions when I get back to beautiful Faga, but it’s nice while I have it.
• I can text and make cell calls without walking to the main road. That’s a big deal.
• I can go to the grocery store without walking over a mile or taking a bus. Plus, there’s palagi food when I get there. I may not be able to afford it, but at least it’s there.
• I’m alive, healthy (except for a cold and the still-infected toe) and able to communicate. Plus, I still have my sense of humor. And, Mr. Kindle is back! Life in Samoa is good.

2 comments:

  1. Soon you will be back in your own place? Glad mr. Kindle liked the hard reboot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So well written (as usual). I especially appreciated your revelation regarding your experiences when being surrounded by a younger generation; helped me with my mind-set as I approach meeting my cohort this fall in Macedonia.
    Additionally, I think you have convinced me to introduce myself to a 'Mr. Kindle' for a traveling companion.

    ReplyDelete