Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Responses to Comments

A couple of people asked questions recently so here are my answers:

Lew - first, congratulations on your nomination to Macedonia. You're in for a fun ride! Yes, I still wear a watch. I have to get to school on time and I have to move from class to class on time. Plus, since most teacher's don't wear watches, I'm the official timekeeper to have kids ring the bell for interval and end of school day. Besides, I just like knowing what time it is. Yes, I always wear a watch on vacation, too.

Congratulations to the woman heading to the PC in Africa! In addition to Hangman, the kids love any computer game. I have a program called Sebran that a previous volunteer left on the external hard drive at the office. It has a typing game, a matching game (words/drawings) and some math games. Hangman is the most complex and most popular but they love them all.

I bought a game called Text Twist that I think they'll like but am having trouble loading it because of a conflict with my anti-virus program. I'll figure it out eventually.

I've found coloring books that have stuff I can copy are great - connect the dots with numbers or letters are fabulous. I use the internet a lot to get games, songs, etc. One would think PC would have a huge stash of such things after 50 years, but if they do it's a closely guarded secret.

Best of luck to you both on your upcoming service. Be prepared to be challenged, frustrated in ways you can't imagine and delighted to tears. It's a great ride.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how you inspiring you are for me.

    I appreciate the tips about the computer-based games. Any other things that you have found helpful will also be appreciated.

    Please continue the descriptive, and insightful postings. I am enjoying and seriously looking forward to each posting so that I might have little vicarious experiences in Samoa.

    You are surely a terrific role model for your Samoan teacher colleagues.

    Continued best wishes to you!

    ReplyDelete