Tuesday, May 24, 2011

O ma'i Mr. Kindle

Mr. Kindle has been ill.  I was very concerned that it was a fatal condition.  If you’ve been reading my blog you know that Mr. Kindle and I are close.  We go to bed together each evening for a couple of hours of quality time.  When I’m feeling down, anxious or bored, he perks me right up.
I was very concerned when he became unresponsive recently.  It happened after our first couple days of ESC.  I was in the middle of a great novel by J. A. Jance which was set in the area where I grew up in Tucson, AZ.  One day I stroked Mr. Kindle gently and instead of responding by opening to the last page I’d read, he ignored me.  It was blatant.  He simply showed me his sleeping face.  I stroked him again.  Same face.  After several strokes to his usually sensitive power button, he didn’t say a thing.  Just gave me the sleeping face.
I talked to a fellow Kindle owner.  No help.  I checked the Amazon site but the troubleshooting guide didn’t have any suggestions for an unresponsive Mr. Kindle.  I emailed Amazon and got a quick response, suggesting I reboot my Kindle, using the main menu.  Since I’d indicated that the main menu wasn’t working that wasn’t helpful.  The tech suggested I call.
I emailed again, explaining where I was and the cost of the call and how I might have to do someone bodily harm (most likely myself) if I got trapped in phone tree hell while paying the long distance tab.  I got another quick response, this time telling me how to do a “hard” reboot.  I hate to be rough on Mr. Kindle, but frankly, by this point I was pretty frustrated with him so didn’t hesitate to shove his power button as hard as I could and hold it there for 15 seconds, as advised.  I’ll be honest, I held it there an extra five seconds just for good measure.
He blinked a few times, then began to respond.  At first he scared me since when he woke up there were no books loaded.  But within a couple of minutes all the books were there and he was his old congenial self.
Thank heavens I have the love of my life back.  The tough love was worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I hope Mr. Kindle doesnt give you any more problems. I know I would freak if my Kindle didnt turn on.

    ReplyDelete