Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Granny Rap

Tomorrow is Teachers' Day.  Coincidentally, its also the one year anniversary of our arrival in Samoa.

I was told yesterday afternoon that after "marching" from Tuisivi at the other end of the village (over a mile away) with all the kids, there would be singing, dancing and performances.  I was also told that I was expected to have each child in the school prepared to do a song, play, poem, etc.  I had 24 hours to prepare over 200 kids.


I negotiated and am now responsible for Years 7 & 8 doing something for the teachers in English.  They love what they call rap - in teachers circles, its known as jazz chants.  I call it Granny Rap.  Here's what I came up with after five minutes to ponder:

WE LOVE OUR TEACHERS!


We love our teachers, we really do.
Kavana, Filoi and Alo too.

Siliato is new, we like him already.
He teaches Year 7 and keeps them steady.

Kaiva, Pa’i and Lefu score.
They teach reading, writing and so much more.

Meripa and Nancy always take the chance
When they’re not teaching to get up and dance.

Avaoia goes to meetings to keep us on track.
We’re always happy when she comes back.

We love our teachers.
We really do.
Today’s the day we say

THANK YOU!

 Ok, I won't expect any recording deals soon, but the kids loved it and were practicing it last night.  We'll be ready for prime time tomorrow.

Saturday I'll be posting photos that I've taken of Savaii and everyday life along with pictures of Teachers Day.  Sunday, I'll post photos of my first White Sunday in the village.  This term is already flying by....

No comments:

Post a Comment