Saturday, July 7, 2012

Food Update and Hide and Seek


I’m still sharing samples of food with my family.  Fried dill pickles was a loser.  Chips and salsa, ditto.  Yesterday I shared chicken soup with carrots, cabbage and dumplings.  My host mom loved it.  Everyone else absolutely hated it.  I thought they were particularly light and tasty dumplings.  Oh, well.

This morning at school, the teachers called out several children.  Seems they have been playing hide and go seek at night.  It is against village rules.  Mostly because they play it into the wee hours.  Imagine letting your eight year old daughter roam around the jungle and beach until 1:00 a.m.  That’s what was happening here.

When I got home I discovered that one brother hadn’t gone to school again.  According to his older brother, he’d been playing until 1:00 a.m. and was too tired for school.  Plus the older brother wanted him to baby sit, which is his job and he hates. 

Speaking of being absent from school, we've had a lot of teachers absent this term.  Frequently for the many meetings, along with illness and personal business.  On Friday as school started there were two other teachers present.  Luckily a few more drifted in over the next hour. 


The bright news is that after 1 ½ years of me begging, pleading, cajoling and whining, two of the teachers have started showing up at interval (recess) most days to learn how to use the computer.  Small successes keep me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment