Sunday, February 18, 2024

Monday, February 19 - Saipan

 Saipan is the largest of the Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands.  This is the port the Captain was concerned about because it is a one mile approach that's only 100 yards wide with shallow reefs on either side.  Bad luck for him, it was very windy as we approached but there seemed to be no problems.  It did take us awhile to sidle up next to the dock but the Captain and crew made it seem easy peasy.

There were dancers and music waiting when we docked about 7:00 a.m.  No in-person immigration here so the ship was cleared and passengers able to disembark before 8:00 a.m.

While I was at breakfast in the MDR, an alarm sounded.  It is common to hear alarms but they are usually prefaced that they are drills only.  That wasn't the case but staff in the MDR seemed unconcerned.  Within a couple of minutes the Captain announced a medical emergency in a staff cabin on deck four.

A few minutes later, the Captain came back on to explain there was a report of a strong chemical smell, mid-ship on deck 4.  Wait, what?  That's where my cabin is.

Next came an announcement that the smell was coming from an overheated fridge in a staff cabin.  It was emitting some kind of chemical gas.

Announcements and updates continued while I enjoyed my oatmeal with granola.  Bottom line, crew quickly moved the damaged fridge to open air on deck 10.  Cabins in the vicinity were evacuated and opened to air things out.  Luckily, I'm on the starboard side and the problem was on the port side so I wasn't involved.

It was gratifying to see how quickly the crew responded, contained and resolved the problem with minimal impact to passengers.

Another announcement was made that Saipan was providing complimentary shuttle busses to get us to town.  Otherwise, it would have been a 40 minute walk, with no sidewalks on a busy street.  My plan was to get a taxi, see a bit of Saipan then pick up some KFC for Rony and Mario.  

I took the 10 minute shuttle ride to downtown and was disappointed that there wasn't a lot to see.  I talked to the two taxi drivers who said it was $150 for two hours.  Not negotiable.  I passed and thought I'd just walk a bit then take the shuttle back to the ship.

I sat on a bench to use Google Maps to see if the KFC was within walking distance.  It was a 15 minute drive away.  And closed, according to the Saipan KFC website.  I was feeling bummed when a passenger walked by, talking about taxis.  I told him what I'd learned.  He was with his wife and another passenger and we quickly agreed to share the taxi.

The main town in Saipan was not pretty.  But once we got away from town the scenery was spectacular.  After a couple hours we came back to the ship and I, of course, headed to the Lido for food.  The three fellow passengers I was with were great but they never eat in port for fear of getting sick.  

Photos!

I woke up at 5:30 to sunrise and the pilot boat.  Beats having an armed Coast Guard boat come alongside



Amazing water color and shallow

Yikes, we're close to that buoy


I met this guy when I was up there yesterday!

Looks way fancier from a distance than from across the street



Music was blasting and these two ladies were dancing


This is what greeted me when I headed to my cabin after breakfast.  No problem for me - it was on the port side, I'm on the starboard side

Hmm.  10 a.m. and the DFW mall doesn't open until 1.  Most ports open up when a ship is in port

This resort looks great from a distance

But a bit rough closer up






Saipan is known for being a SCUBA destination

US Navy ship.  There were three anchored off-shore



There was a lot of construction.  The driver said this road had been under construction for 2 years

This was Banzai Cliff.  Towards the end of the Battle of Saipan in 1944, hundreds of Japanese civilians and soldiers (of the Imperial Japanese Army) jumped off the cliff to their deaths in the ocean and rocks below, to avoid being captured by the Americans. Not far away, a high cliff named Suicide Cliff overlooks the coastal plain, and was another site of numerous suicides. At Banzai Cliff, some who jumped did not die and were captured by American ships.

A local guide said that Japanese troops actually forced some (including civilians) to jump to their deaths rather than allowing them to be captured alive


The scene is stunningly beautiful but the story is tragic

While driving from the ship I didn't notice we were climbing in elevation but this cliff is high



There were a number of memorials

A short drive away is this giant rock, known as Bird Island.  I did not see any birds but it was beautiful



Most tourists seemed to be from Japan, China and Korea.  Given the proximity, that makes sense




On our way back to the ship we stopped at one of the final hiding places for Japanese soldiers.  My dad was in the Navy during WWII.  I know he was on Iwo Jima.  I'm not sure about Saipan










Once we were dropped off back at the ship I told these guys I wanted to take a photo of some handsome Chamorro men.  These police officers quickly volunteered.  I told them about our send-off with all the police/lights/sirens in Guam.  They said it was their protocol, too

Lunch was stir fried lamb and beef and sushi


2 comments:

  1. My dad was a Marine radio operator in Majuro in the Marshall Islands. He said they'd often spot Japanese submarines spying on them. One night, they were under a blackout command because of a rumored attack. He had oil drums ready to burn his code books if they were invaded. Suddenly, things started raining down on the tin roofs of their huts. Turned out to be coconuts dropping from their trees. He said he'd never been so scared in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The varied blue hues of the water is amazing. ❤️

    ReplyDelete