Monday, February 5, 2024

Monday, February 5 - At Sea

 Another rough day at sea.  I slept well, in the center of the bed.  Yes, the swells are enough to roll me out of bed.  This is our last sea day for three days.  They are my favorites.  But after 3 ports in Hawaii, we'll have eight sea days on our way to Guam.  My friend Jolanda is having her two twin beds put together in case we have more rough seas.

How rough is it?  The Captain announced that if it gets any rougher they'll have to suspend food and beverage service. Since about 140 people are leaving the cruise in Hawaii, tonight is escargot and surf and turf.  I want the crew to be safe but I hope he doesn't cancel dinner!   

You'd never know we're having rough seas from the activities around the ship.  I know some crew are seasick and assume some passengers are too, but as I wandered around the ship, there were lots of people out and about, including having lunch in the Lido on deck 9 where it was really rocking and rolling.  The pool was closed because water was sloshing out and it wasn't safe.  These aren't the roughest seas I've been in and aren't unusual for a Pacific crossing.

I spent the day during my normal sea day routine.  Eating, walking, reading, watching for whales, playing cards and talking with folks onboard and at home.  Thanks for the video call, Eileen!  Glad you had a great 7th birthday in Amman.

Photos!

It was too windy to go on the balcony early this morning.  Most of the day was overcast

I love this table.  You can raise it or lower it.  I usually keep it low (coffee table height) but while I was reading it popped up on its own

Someone left their water bottle in a public area.  I'm shocked by how often people leave trash in common areas.  Crew does a great job of cleaning up after us but really?

I love the views from the glass elevators but they scare me, especially when the seas are rough.  I use them anyway


The Maitre 'd usually stops by each evening.  I can't wait to find out what happened.  Speculation is that it was rough-sea related

A few of the desserts in the Lido.  I skipped dessert at lunch.  No worries, I'll make up for it at dinner

I believe they make these from leftovers.  Don't care!  So delicious with fruit, meringue and a cream cheese filling.  Sometimes, instead of meringue they use crumbled cake or cookies

This chocolate cake is decadent.  And delicious.  Here's a recipe I plan to try when I get home.  https://braziliankitchenabroad.com/brigadeiro-cake-recipe/

I haven't cooked, cleaned or done laundry in more than a month.  I do not miss it. At all.  Laundry service is free for 4 Star Mariners (that's me!) and is by far the best perk

The ship is moving enough they needed a way to keep these heavy glass doors at the entrance to the Main Dining Room from swinging shut

I decided to dine alone for lunch in the Main Dining Room.  Most people were in the Lido.  I was hungry and wanted to be pampered

Another dish I love and plan to make at home.  Watermelon caprese.  Watermelon, a bit of red onion, freshly made mozzarella and a balsamic drizzle, with basil

The pork and mango skewers were tempting but I went for the beer-battered fried Haddock.  The fried fish and chips are why I skipped dessert


I was whale watching and suddenly this appeared.  After about a minute, the skies returned to gray

I've gotten very good at holding the grab bar with one hand while showering with the other in the rough seas


No comments:

Post a Comment