Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Thursday, February 15 - At Sea

 Yup, still at sea.  Not that I'm complaining, mind you.  I'd happily stay at sea as long as they keep feeding me and treating me like the pampered princess I am.

The ocean started getting rough last night, about dinner time.  The poor waiters.  Formal night, Valentine's Day and 15 foot seas.  The rough seas continued overnight.  No complaints about that, either.  I enjoy being rocked to sleep.  During the Captain's noon update, he advised that we'd continue to have a mix of clouds/squalls and rough seas until about noon on Friday, when things will start to clear up a bit.  Whatever.  It is not dangerous.  It is a bit tricky to shower but other than that, very enjoyable.

Today was typical.  Breakfast was oatmeal, I lost 2-1 at cards (but learned a cool card trick from Melinda, the bartender) and brought lunch from the Lido to my cabin.  I also turned in my customs form for Saipan.  And, was invited to a tour of the laundry facility tomorrow.  I'm almost as excited about that as going metal detecting.  Hey, you have your interests, I have mine.

Being at sea for days at a time, staring at the waves, provides lots of time to think.  Here are some things I've been thinking about:

  • I'm guessing about 80% of the passengers on the ship are over 60.  I'd estimate that at least 20% are over 80.  Many have visible health and mobility issues.  But they do not stop.  They inspire me to not stay home and fall into a comfortable rut.  One woman, who uses two canes to walk, is out on the Promenade Deck with her elderly husband every day.  Walking.  She doesn't look happy about it but she's doing it.  "Tough old birds" would be one way to describe many on board.  I want to be like them when I grow up.

  • I'm very glad I opted for a shorter cruise with a balcony cabin.  Many days I don't go out on the balcony for more than a few minutes.  But every day I watch the water.  There's a comfortable love seat next to the floor to ceiling window.  Ideal for watching the ocean and sky.

    I dated a guy who couldn't understand why I needed so much "alone time".  His perspective was that if I loved him I'd want to be with him.  All the time.  I did love him but he was too consistently, persistently near.  All the time.  I love to be alone.  It does not feel lonely at all.  I love silence.  I am hilarious and enjoy my own company.

    Having a balcony cabin, all to myself, is fabulous.  At home it is not unusual for me to not see another human for a day or two at a time.  More, if I'm lucky and plan well.  On the ship, I say hello to at least six people before I make it to breakfast and my first cup of coffee.  Being able to retreat to my cabin with a stellar view is wonderful. 

    On previous world cruises (2001 and 2020), I had ocean view cabins.  Very nice but you couldn't sit and look out at the water.  The window is too high.  To stare at the waves meant being out in public areas.  And while there are always places to go, there's no guarantee someone isn't going to join you.  Even if you have a RBF like I do.

    And, some folks are starting to get grumpy.  Bitching about service, weather, change in itinerary, whatever.  I don't have to let them harsh my buzz.  I can retreat to my cabin. This trip has confirmed that spending more money for a solo balcony cabin is the right choice for me.  I'm incredibly grateful that I can afford it.  For at least 1/2 of the world cruise, if not the whole thing. Besides, I'd miss Budweiser the Big Butt Wonder Dog too much if I was gone for four months.
Now, photos!
This was my view when I got up about 5:30 a.m.

This was 6:30 when I finished my shower

Unmade bed but I was pretty proud of getting a shower in the rough seas

13-15 foot seas

These photos were taken in the Pinnacle bar on deck two while I waited to have latte's made for Mario and Roni



It's an EXCLUSIVE laundry tour.  You bet I RSVP'd "yes".  Did you know I have also toured a giant laundry in Mumbai?

We're creeping closer to Guam.  Still over 1,000+ nautical miles and two days away

The days has been a mix of rain, sun and clouds.  Big swells and rough waves are the constant.  Perfect, as far as I'm concerned

Lunch was lamb shwarma, salad, baba ganoush and baklava.  With a view 

I don't think I could ever get tired of this view

No comments:

Post a Comment