Friday, January 14, 2011

Another Housing Update

 Beach fales near the house where I might someday live.
Yes, another housing update.  If you're sick of reading about it, you can only imagine how sick I am of living it.  I thought I was moving yesterday (Thursday).  The homeowner was supposed to arrive Wednesday.  I tried calling Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.  He didn't answer.  I walked to the house on Thursday. He had not arrived.  His mother is living there and seemed happy to see me and accept the gift of Koko Samoa that I brought.  I didn't bring up the issue of moving in.

I called PC to talk to either of the two people that can help with the situation.  Neither has returned my call.
The owners of the home where I've been staying were gracious about the change and said I could stay.  They do ask me, about every hour, if I've heard when I'll be moving.

It is awkward and frustrating.  There is nothing I can do but wait.  PC has told me that I should move in and    get settled before school starts in two weeks.  I'd be happy to oblige, if I could.

My bags are packed, yet again.  I'm ready to move, but have no idea when it will happen.  I ran into a woman yesterday who's on the school committee.  That's the group that applied to get a volunteer and is responsible for my living arrangements.  She said she doesn't think i should live in the new house.

I figure this is a great test of my patience and flexibility.  On Tuesday, I was flunking.  Today, I'm at about a C.  I'll keep working on it.  Until I'm moved, internet access requires 2 hours on a bus, so I'll keep you posted when I can.

P.S.  While I was in Apia this week, I did some shopping.  I scored some tea towels, throw rugs, pillow and the best thing ever - a small lamp.  It's a $27 luxury.  I refuse to spend two years with nothing but florescent lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment