Thursday, January 20, 2011

Customer Service

One of the families pigs.  Nothing to do with customer service, I just like pigs.
 
Written on Saturday, January 15, 2011

While in Apia this week, I went to lunch with a couple of PC friends. We decided to splurge on a palagi-style restaurant that’s aimed, and priced, for tourists. A splurge, but it was close and we were hot and tired. The power had been out all over town and crossing streets with no traffic signals was an adventure we didn’t care to face any more than we had to.

We ordered nachos for me, a tuna/avocado sandwich and a chicken wrap. We found a seat and waited about 15 minutes for our food. The waitress came out to explain that because the power was out, they could only serve a limited menu. Did they just notice it had been out for over two hours? The nachos were out along with the tuna and chicken sandwiches. No tuna? Perhaps they only had an electric can opener. After a bit of discussion, we determined that they couldn’t serve the tuna sandwiches because they were toasted. We all agreed that untoasted was fine and we’d all get a tuna and avocado sandwich.

Another 15 minutes later, the waitress came toward us again. We let out a collective sigh, since she was not carrying food. “We’re out of avocados, so we can’t serve the tuna sandwich.” We shared a look and stood up, in unison. We just couldn’t go through another discussion about the possibility of just serving the tuna sandwich without the avocado. The fact that someone was selling avocados about twenty feet away just added to the frustration.

About the nachos. There is not a doubt in my mind I would have hated them but ordered them just the same. She described them as “Mince cooked with sweet chili and tomato sauce and some cheese.” “Is that served on top of nacho chips?” “Oh, yes, there’s something under it. I’m not sure what.” Only my desperation for anything Mexican made me order them in the first place.

Mince, by the way, is an abbreviation for “minced meat”, the New Zealand way of saying hamburger. Sweet chili is a sauce that’s used a lot here and I love it. Think of the Thai sweet/spicy sauce that comes with coconut shrimp. Tomato sauce is ketchup. Wattie’s is a New Zealand brand and they make the best ketchup. It has a hint of cloves.

After lunch, we ran around the corner so I could get a photo printed. Photos are fairly expensive here and a luxury that people love. I took a picture of Ruta and her cousin’s family and wanted to take them a print when we go back to see the waterfall again.

I’d had numerous prints made at the place and the lady recognized me. She explained that the power was out, so the printer wasn’t working. I pointed out that she was using her desktop computer, so perhaps the power had come back on. She looked around, realized the lights were on, and she was in fact using her computer. “Oh, then maybe I can make a print for you.” She did. I’m looking forward to seeing the family again when we make our grand tour of Savaii next month.

Today, I walked the mile or so to the Tuisivi store. I stood in line to buy some ramen and stuff from a middle aged woman who didn’t seem happy to be there. She became even less happy when another employee insisted she take a phone call. She stopped cashiering while she talked. For several minutes she chatted, while about ten people waited patiently in line. When she finished, she completed my transaction and threw my change at me. I thought perhaps she didn’t care for me or palagi’s in general, but looked back to see her throwing change at the next customer, a Samoan.

On the other hand, when I checked into my room at a great bargain place in Apia, the Livingstone Accommodations, the owner stayed in my fale for a few minutes, showing me the amenities and chatting. Before she left, she gave me a hug. That’s the Samoan service I love.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha... what a great read. I am a Samoan born and raised in NZ but agree with everything you've said in this post about customer service. It is truly lacking in many stores and restaurants. I've often wondered whether customer service training would be a viable business in Samoa? Great read!

    Soifua

    ReplyDelete