Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's Raining, It's Pouring

The beach fale where I spend a lot of time.  Yes, it's normally this crowded in the area.

Given that I live in the tropics and it’s the rainy season, I shouldn’t be surprised or dismayed at the amount of rain we’ve had the last few days. Since New Year’s Day, it has rained. A deluge at times, but mostly just constant, steady rain.



I remember something from one of Betty MacDonald’s books (she wrote The Egg and I among other books.) She lived in the Puget Sound and talked frequently about being stuck inside as the rain went on and on. Bored, no one to talk with, nothing to do but listen to the constant drone of the rain. Sure, it’s a lovely patter at first. An enjoyable thunder when it pours. But enough, already. I’m with Betty. If it keeps raining I might just start drinking straight gin out of a toothbrush tumbler and strip my clothes off to run naked. Well, I’d consider it if I had a glass to hold my toothbrush. Or gin. Or a better figure.


I rarely get bored. I’m happy with a book, writing in my journal or playing a computer game. And I have all that available. The dilemma is those are all solitary pursuits and solitary is considered rude and somewhat disturbing to Samoans.


The family seems to have rotating assignments to sit with me. Currently, Ruta is on Palagi duty. We talk sometimes and I’m fine sitting in silence. For awhile. After the first couple of hours, though, I get a little antsy and want to go for a walk (too wet) or read a book (too anti-social).


I caught a cold and felt crummy yesterday. It was raining steadily and I wanted to use that as an excuse to just curl up in bed with my blanket (yes, it gets a touch nippy when it rains) and Mr. Kindle.


The kind family with whom I’m living, however, was concerned. They offered tea, food, company and checked on me repeatedly. They were incredibly caring and thoughtful, but I miss my American friends who know that when I get sick I want to be left alone. Lovely to drop off food and leave, letting me root around on my own, not having to make conversation. And that’s in English.


The rain abated briefly on Monday morning and I felt much better. Ruta suggested that we go sit on the beach fale close to the house. Much like sitting in the house but with a stellar view. Plus we can watch the cars go by and I always get to meet someone new.

We got there just in time for a New Year’s Parade. A very small parade, with only 3 floats, but clearly the church group had put a lot of work into it. The floats were pickups, covered in banana and palm leaves, flowers and people, decked out in traditional costumes. One of the floats wasn’t running, so a herd of boys was pushing it down the road. A lady with a megaphone was asking for donations for the church. Ruta gave them some money and the next thing I heard was an announcement of how much she had donated, along with her name. Then the rain started again and we headed back to the house.
That was the highlight of 2011, so far. Luckily, the year is very young.

No comments:

Post a Comment