Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Update on Savaii

Hello, from Apia.  I came into town yesterday to meet with PC and my new homeowner and spent a lovely evening having dinner with friends, followed by a stay at a wonderful, clean, air conditioned hotel.  Still a cold shower, but who cares?

Because I'm in an internet cafe that doesn't allow my flashdrive (or thumb drive or whatever you want to call it) rather than a succintly written, brilliant and humorous entry that I'd written previously, along with some great photos, you're getting an on-the-fly update.  Please bear with me.

It's been a roller coaster week.  Saturday I visited the new house and talked to the sister who lives next door.  She repeatedly talked about "if" I live there, which made me think that it might not happen.  I was angry, frustrated and sad.  Then out of the blue Saturday night, the homeowner showed up on my doorstep to tell me that since I'm so anxious to move in, that I could as of Monday, if I was willing to have the renovations completed while I live there.  Yes!  I went to sleep with visions of nesting and decorating in my head.

Monday, I showed up at the new house to clean.  Seems there was a tiny misunderstanding and the homeowner's mother, a very elderly woman (even older than me!) wasn't aware that I'd be moving in.  And, she was staying in the house.  It was awkward, at best.

Yesterday, I met with PC and the homeowner and I thought things were ironed out.  Right up until the end of the meeting, when PC suggested that I stay where I am for the time being.  Huh?  I'm holding the locks you just gave me for the door.  He just agreed to install them Thursday.  What did I miss?  Long story, but after another meeting, without the homeowner, I'll be moving in Thursday.  I think.  I've come to understand, however, that communication and planning are different here, so I'll know I'm moving when I'm actually sleeping there.  On the floor, without electricity in all but one room, but alone.  Privacy.  It will be good.

In talking with the PC staff yesterday I was emotional.  They were uncomfortable.  As they said, "We figured of all the group, you'd have the least issues since you seem so "together". Yeah, I'm a "together" kinda gal, but I'm also human.

I described some of the things that have been happening in my village.  I tried to explain that I don't need their help or want them to do anything.  I was fine, just emotional.   I tried to explain how overwhelming it is to have everything be new.  To walk on egg shells at all times.  To speak in a foreign language.  To not understand what people are saying or asking of me.  It's not bad, it's just a lot.  Other volunteers are feeling it to.  I don't expect it to change any time soon.

I also explained that I have coping mechanisms.  Like dinner last night, where I started the evening with a shot of Tequila.  Lovely. I ate great food, in a beautiful setting, with excellent conversation and lots of laughing.  Then I slept IN A BED! In an entire fale, all by myself.  I got up alone and went to breakfast.  All by myself.  I had a pleasant conversation with the hotel owner, who gave me a hug and invited me back.

I'm feeling refreshed and ready to head back to Savaii.  The entry I was going to post today was about little annoyances.  It really is the accumulation of very small things that get to me.  For example, I was told I should be on the road yesterday at 5:30 a.m. to wait for the bus in order to catch the 8 a.m. ferry. At 5:00 a.m. there was a knock on my door, asking if I was ready.  I was, only because I woke up early.  Anyway, they dropped me off on the street on their way to prayer meeting.  I waited for the bus, alone in the dark, in a rainstorm.  For two hours.  Seems the busses don't start until 7.

Yup, it's the little things. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, your postings are so very inspirational to me. Not because I am likely to be invited to serve where you are already serving, but because you help me realize that I will encounter lots of new challenges and I will, like you, overcome them.
    Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete