Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I Don't Sleep Alone

I don't know what it is, but I don't want to sleep with it, ever again.

Nope, I haven’t changed my mind about having a fling with the widower in the village. I slept with something from a completely different species. I woke up in the middle of the night and felt something. I reached down and grabbed what looks like a variation of a hermit crab, on steroids. It was about the size of a navel orange.

I wasn’t happy to find it in bed with me but was too tired to get up and get rid of it, so just tossed it outside the mosquito net. How it got inside the mosquito net is a mystery. Apparently, I didn’t do a very effective job of tucking the net between the foam mattress and the cement floor.


In the morning, I thought I must have been dreaming. Until I realized that my friend had crab-walked back over to my mattress. I took a picture of it, then went to get someone braver than I to take it outside. It was one thing to grab it when I was half asleep, I didn’t want to do it again in the full light of day when I could see how ugly and big it was.


By the time I’d dragged one of the guys back to my room, it was nowhere to be found. He sent his sister to help me look for it, but it seems to have made a clean get away or was too well hidden for us to find. I nonchalantly said “Well, at least it can’t hurt me. They don’t bite, right?” Seems they do. And, according to the 18 year old, a bite could kill me. I think she was kidding.


If you happen to recognize it and know that it could be dangerous, please let me know. I’ll search a little harder. Just in case, I’m being very vigilant when tucking in the mosquito net.


Hello, again. It’s now a couple of days later and I’d like to report on more sleeping companions. Yesterday, it was two lizards. I like having them in my room since they eat bugs. I relate to the sound the gecko makes the way I relate to the sound a bug zapper makes. But having them crawl across my body and in one case, my face, while I’m sleeping is rude. And because I have the mosquito net, the one I tossed off my face, bounced back. At moments like that, I pretend that I’m watching my life as a movie, with Meryl Streep playing my role. Or perhaps Bette Midler. I bet she could throw a lizard with gusto.

4 comments:

  1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coconut_crab

    was it a coconut crab? because that would have scared the bejeezus out of me. (ps I'm so happy you're continuing to update your blog! I love reading it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG Nancy you have me totally freaked out!!! I am terrified of bugs and I am hoping that your description is an exageration as it cannot be possibly that something that big could get in your bed! At least that is what I am going to continue to tell myself. Jenny said that my biggest problem when we visit will be the bugs, I am terrified of them, and even suggested that I keep a cockaroach as a pet to get used to it. I shall pass. So since you did not get to post the pic of your creature I will be anxiously waiting for your next update when you post it. I am almost afraid to see it. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. It looks beautiful there. Luv your posts, Renee (Jenny's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay sorry but had to comment again. I made the mistake of looking up the coconut crab mentioned above by Elizabeth. Holy Crap, I almost fell off my chair. Please, please tell me that you have not seen one of those in your room!!! That looks like something I see in one of my nightmares!!!

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what it was, could have been a small coconut crab. I just hope it doesn't come back. The good news, the most dangerous critter here is the mosquito!

    ReplyDelete