Friday, October 26, 2012

Holy Crap, I'm Going Home!

I’ve been conscious that the time is coming to head back to the United States. Now, I feel like I just let go of the rail at the top of a very steep water slide and I’m picking up speed and getting a wedgie as I head toward the big splash

I think it really hit Saturday, when I realized I’d be sitting in my new apartment with old friends just three weeks from that moment. I’m looking forward to it. I’m also dreading leaving. Like any life change there are pros and cons. It will be bittersweet. I’m already having repeated dreams that any amateur psychologist worth his salt would tell you means I’m dealing with separation anxiety and issues related to the unknown life I’m going to.

 I’m certainly not unhappy about the uncertainty. It’s exciting. I’m lucky enough to be in a position to have a variety of options without having huge financial pressures to immediately start money rolling in again. Of course, after I have a sit down with my financial manager, I may be singing a different tune.

 My current plan is to spend the last half of November and all of December relaxing, visiting with friends and starting the readjustment process. In January, I plan to start the real search for work, while still staying in the rented place on the beach in Florida. I’ll start February by attending a wedding in Michigan.

Might I point out how much I love the bride to be? Because if I didn’t I would not be hauling my South Pacific feels-like-the-surface-of-the-sun ass to colder-than-a well-digger’s-ass Michigan. Heck, I’m already worried about the cold Florida winter I’m headed to.

After the wedding, I’ll be heading overseas to live inexpensively, continue job hunting online and enjoy another adventure. Currently, India, Thailand, Uruguay and Guatemala top the list but there are many others in contention.

 I’ve heard from my legion of fans (ok, my two best friends) that they’ll miss my blog. Don’t despair – I can still bore you silly, since I plan to continue writing. I’ll keep you posted on my readjustment process (translation: more whining) and also post many of the videos and photos of Samoa that I haven’t been able to from here. I also plan to do a little processing of my experience in Samoa by continuing to blog about some stories of Samoa I haven’t shared yet. Or that I haven’t shared fully. Some funny, some not.

 In any case, I hope you’ll hang with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment