Friday, October 26, 2012

Leaving for the Group 84 Training Village

On Monday, October 15, I was in Apia. The plan was for the Language and Culture trainers and I to head to the training village at noon. Group 84 PCTs had gone to the village the previous Saturday and on Monday, although it was a holiday in Samoa, they were having water safety training.


 I got a call around 11:00 a.m. saying that our departure would be delayed, until about 2:30 (we actually left around 5:30 p.m.) I used the time to stroll down to the sea wall to chat with passengers from the Holland America cruise ship that was in port. I talked to two different couples who were on the ship – they weren’t travelling together – and one of each couple was an RPCV.


There are only 195,000 returned PCVs, so I thought it ironic that I met two of them in the tiny country of Samoa. The woman I met had served in Venezuela. The man served in Liberia. Both served in the 80’s. There’s a non-profit that provides support to RPCVs, as well as providing opportunities to continue serving in some way. They’re trying to find all 195,000 RPCVs. They could just hire me for six months to wander around and find them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment