Thursday, January 9, 2020

A Bit of Context

NOTE: Due to a technical glitch, all posts must be done in limited port time.
Please excuse typos, bad photos, etc. When I have time, I'll go back
and organize and clean things up. Any thoughts you consider idiotic
are mine and are unlikely to change.

I don’t typically make a big deal out of my birthday.  Except on decades. When
I turned 50 I went on a Holland America world cruise on the Rotterdam. 
When I turned 60 I joined the Peace Corps and served two years
teaching English in a village in Samoa, in the South Pacific.  

As I contemplated turning 70, I figured I’d do either another world cruise
or rejoin  Peace Corps. But Peace Corps is hard. I talked to my financial
guy about the cruise and he pointed out that since I am unlikely to live
forever it would be fine for me to pry my fingers off some of my money
and go on another world cruise.  That, combined with an amazing southern
hemisphere centric itinerary convinced me.

After putting a refundable deposit down on the world cruise, I decided to do a
shorter Holland America cruise.  It had been more than 10 years since I’d
cruised on HAL and I wanted to make sure it was as good as I remembered.


After taking two repositioning cruises in 2019 (Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen
and Vancouver to Tokyo) I noticed differences but decided to go ahead
with the cruise.  As I make observations about my time on the
2020 World Cruise, please know that in my head I’ll be (consciously or not)
comparing it to my experience on the Rotterdam in 2001.


*** A repositioning cruise is usually one of the best values you can
get in cruising.  Ships spend seasons in different locations.
For example, many ships spend the winter in the Caribbean and
the summer in the Mediterranean.  They have to move, twice a year,
to the new location. Prices for those cruises, in a balcony cabin, are
frequently less than $150 a day for a couple (or single passenger). 
I paid about $137 a day fro the Vancouver-Tokyo cruise. Prices jumped to
over $350 a day for the Asian cruise out of Tokyo.

What I’ll be writing are my observations and my reactions.  And sometimes
bitchy comments. Sometimes funny. I have no agenda other than to
record memories of what will hopefully be one of the highlights of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment