Thursday, January 16, 2020

Politics at Sea

Like most people, I’m concerned about a lot of things in our country.  And like a lot
of people, I’m exhausted from all the yelling, name-calling and lack of productive
conversation on critical issues.


I was taught that it is unwise to talk about politics or religion with strangers.  Most
onboard seem to have learned that too. But not everyone.


Recently I was getting to know some folks over tea and pastries.  Several of us
live in Florida. Which apparently caused one man to announce that Florida is
under threat from Democrats.  He went on for a minute, letting us know his political
views. As he took a breath, there was silence at the table. I jumped in and began
a debate about raisins in scones.


It happened again later.  I was chatting with a woman from The Villages 
which is the largest geezer community in the world, about an hour from my house. 
She assumed that I, too, am an enemy of the Democrats. It took every ounce
of self-control to not ask her about the 22% property tax increase that her elected
Republicans just announced for The Villages.  They got into office on a “we’re going t
o lower taxes” platform.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how long you will be able to remain an undercover Democrat.
    Love all your commentary!

    ReplyDelete