Monday, January 20, 2020

Why are People Cranky?

I had a moment this morning in the Lido.  No one offered to bring me water or tea when I sat down.  How rude!  I had to walk almost 30 feet to get it myself.  As I carried my cup and glass back to my table I thought about how many people made it possible for me to have such an array of food choices.  I haven't had to lift a finger for myself until the brutality of having to get my own water.  And, to be honest, if I were more patient (and less thirsty) someone would have brought it to me in a few minutes.

I thought about this as I sat looking out at the sea.  I've run into a few people having cranky moments.  Given the ages, I assume many are in pain or discomfort from a variety of ailments.  Or have other issues, perhaps having lost a spouse or other loved one recently.  Most seem to be having a grand time but a few seem grumpy when anything is not exactly to their liking.

I hope they will continue to enjoy the trip and remember that yelling at the nice woman who dishes out ice cream will not enable her to pull a rum raisin cone out of her ear if there is no rum raisin on board.

Speaking of cranky, I happened to be in the hallway as a group of cabin stewards was coming toward me, reporting ofr work.  All of them smiling.  I told them I thought we should have an occasional do it yourself" day when cabin stewards got to sleep in and we all made our own beds and cleaned our own bathrooms.  They thought it was a great idea but we doubt of HAL would go for it.  And it could cause the cranky people some heartburn.

No comments:

Post a Comment