Thursday, January 16, 2020

I Get Free Laundry!

When I boarded, I knew that I was just nine days short of reaching 4 Star Mariner
status, which requires cruising 200 days.  The next level is 500 days.
Unless I win the lottery, I doubt I’ll get there.

That kind of brand loyalty brings perks.  We get to be on the first tenders and first
to disembark.  We get a special area to wait before embarkation. We get special
deals on wine packages and meals in the specialty restaurants.  We get a lapel pin
(which a lot of people actually wear every day). We also will have an
occasional reception with free champagne.


But the best perk of all?  Free laundry! I fill out a form, indicating what items I want
cleaned and put that and the dirty clothes in a bag.  Someone whisks it away
and hours later my clean, ironed clothes are returned to my cabin. Folded or hung.  


I actually kind of enjoy doing laundry.  After doing laundry in a bucket for two
years in the Peace Corps, being able to throw my clothes in a washer and dryer
and just pushing a couple buttons is so easy and satisfying.


But having my clean clothes brought to me, wrapped in tissue paper, is the height
of decadence.  I paid for the service on my last two cruises. This time it would have
cost almost $800 which I wouldn’t have spent.  


I was a bit disappointed that the Captain didn’t show up at my cabin with champagne,
roses, balloons and confetti but knowing that my clean clothes will be delivered soon
is even better.

BTW, there are over 800 people onboard with 4 star and higher status, so that
“getting off first” thing is kind of moot.

No comments:

Post a Comment