Monday, January 20, 2020

Tips on Cruising on the Amsterdam

The bathroom has not changed in 19 years.

Body soap, shampoo and creme rinse dispensers.  I love the faucet - you set the temperature once and then just turn it off and on every day.  Wish I had one like it at home.

Plenty of towels.

Two hair dryers - this one and one in a drawer in the desk.  They both work fine but not great.  If I had thick long hair, I'd bring my own.

This mirror has seen better days.  The center is so worn it's not usable.

My $2 a day 'fridge.  Currently I have the champagne in it that I saved from embarkation day.  I plan to open it when we get to Antarctica.

I wish I could figure out a way to comfortably sit and enjoy the ocean just outside my window. 
Old school "dumb" tvs.  A few channels and you can go to Guest Services and rent a movie for free.  HAL tell me again why you're updating cabins AFTER your premier cruise?  C'mon, even I have a smart tv at home.



The only two outlets in the room.  One US style, one European style with two prongs.
Unfortunately, Holland America doesn't provide really detailed information about each ship, and if you're doing a long cruise it really helps to know what you need to pack.  So, here are some observations and opinions.  I'll be adding more as the cruise goes on.  If you have specific questions, just leave a comment and I'll do my best to get an answer.   FYI, I'm in cabin 1866 on Deck 1, an ocean view cabin.
  • There are no motion sensor lights in the cabins. You can bring one on board.  I also brought battery operated candles with a remote.  Both are helpful in the middle of the night and the candles are great for atmosphere.
  • There are two electrical outlets on the desk.  One is 220 and one is 110.  No USB ports.  You CANNOT bring your own adapter to provide more outlets but can get one from Guest Services for the entire trip, free.  Be sure to pack electrical adapters for charging your USB stuff.  There currently are no USB plugs.  That might change after this cruise, since the ship is being refurbished then.
  • The bathrooms are very similar to the newer ships (except for finishes) but have no electrical outlet in the bathroom.  I charge my toothbrush on my desk.  Body soap, shampoo and cream rinse are in a dispenser in the tub/shower.
  • Cabins below suite level do not have a mini-bar.  I rented a mini-fridge for $2 a day.  Doesn't take up too much space and I use it keep snacks. For example, sometimes I get a plate of the smoked salmon, herring, cheese, olives, etc from breakfast and have that as my dinner.
  • I've been drinking the tap water from the bathroom sink for 16 days and am still alive.  It tastes fine and I'd bet the water they pour in the dining room and Lido is from the same source.
  • Things are a bit more upscale than on my recent repositioning cruises on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam.  Things I expected and didn't get on those ships are back.  Orchids on every table in the Lido, with other fresh flowers everywhere.  Shrimp cocktail, salmon and NY steak are available every day.  The other night instead of going to the MDR, I opted to have my Gala dinner in the Lido.  I asked for a lobster tail.  The response was "Just one?  Maybe two?  And steak or prime rib?" 
  • If, like my friend Heidi, you are a fan of prosciutto, you will find very little of it.  But tons of herring and other meats you'd like.
  • Sundries in the store are very limited.  I recommend bringing all the OTC drugs and stuff with you.  I paid $4.50 on board for five disposable razors.  No cotton balls to be found.  So far, those are the only things I seem to have forgotten.
  • There are no alarm clocks in the cabins.
  • The passenger to crew ratio seems to be comparable to other ships.  19 years ago on the world cruise it was close to a 1-1 ratio.  Now, waiters, cabin stewards and bar staff are stretched thin.  No complaints about the service but the days of someone carrying your food to your table in the Lido are long gone.  They are doing a much better job in the Lido on keeping glasses filled and tables clean.  I've only seen one bar staff roaming the Lido at dinner (it was like spotting a unicorn) so if you want wine with dinner, bring your own.
  • The in-room menu is the same as the rest of the fleet.  Since my September cruise, thought they've added a children's section.  How ironic is that on a ship where the average age is 112. It's great though.  The other night I got a hot dog, celery sticks and carrot sticks for dinner, from the kid's menu.  They also have chicken fingers, mac and cheese, salad and a PBJ.  All complementary.  If you order a hot dog from the Dive In room service menu it costs $4,95.  I don't know what the difference is but the one I had was great.
  • Attire:  I'm dedicating a whole post to this one.
  • People on this cruise don't decorate their doors.  I've seen 3 and two took them down a couple of days later.  It just isn't a thing like it is on short cruises or Disney cruises.
  • There is a free sauna near the gym.  You check in, get a locker key and there is a nice shower area.
  • There is a pickleball court.  And a track and a basketball court.  And a full gym with a lot of classes (some free, some not)
  • There is a lounge just for Neptune suite cruisers.  No one has invited me but the door was open and it looks nice.  No views, but staff there to help and snacks always available.
  • The Amsterdam is one of the few Dam ships to still have self-service laundry.  There are three on board, each with several washers and dryers.  I believe it is $2 a load, per machine.  There's also a n iron and ironing board in each laundry room.  You CANNOT bring your own iron on board.

No comments:

Post a Comment