Thursday, January 9, 2020

January 5, 2020 - I Have New Friends!

I’m not sure where the day went today.  After dawdling in my cabin
and leisurely dressing, I went to the Lido for breakfast.  At 8:00 a.m. I expected
a crowd but had no problem finding a table. I opted for some yogurt topped
with granola.  The eggs Benedict station did call out to me but I resisted. I
made a small plate of cheese and pickled herring, smoked salmon and
crudite to put in my ‘fridge.  


While I was enjoying my yogurt a lady joined me at my table.  We talked and
after a couple of minutes she said “You’re the lady my husband talked to last
night at the Sea View while the other ships were leaving.  He told me about
you and said you were really interesting.”

I’m looking forward to spending some time with both of them.  If only I could
remember their names.


Next, I did a lot of wandering around the ship.  I spent some time in the
spa and gym, getting information about treatment options.  I love having
regular massages but am spoiled by having a place near my home with great
massage therapists.  An hour massage is $39. On the ship, a
50 minute massage is $129. If I’m going to blow money I think I’ll save i
t to charter a helicopter in the Maldives.

During my wanderings I came upon the Sports Bar which has several giant
TV screens and they were showing the NFL Wild Card games.  I spent a few
hours watching, cheering and being very sad about the NOLA loss. And, during
commercials, met several more interesting people. 

I consider myself well traveled. I’ve been to over 80 countries and six continents.
But compared to many of my fellow cruisers, I’m a newby. Fascinating to hear
the stories of others’ travels.  And how others are choosing to spend their retirement
years. One elderly man I watched football with speaks seven languages and is
currently learning an Indonesian language so he can talk to
the Indonesian crew.


I skipped lunch so went back to my cabin about 7 p.m. to enjoy the fish,
cheese and crudites I’d stashed in my ‘fridge.  I enjoyed that while watching more football.  

After a couple of hours in bed with Mr. Kindle, I slept again like a floating rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment