Thursday, January 23, 2020

Thursday, January 23 - Punta del Este, Uruguay- Day 20


After Rio, we enjoyed two sea days, my favorites.  I read, played Bananagrams, walked, read some more, played Word Trip on my phone and watched the ocean for hours.  Oh, and I ate.  My stomach seems to have synched with another passenger since 3 times in two days we were in the elevator going to the Lido for food.

In Punta del Este today.  Looks like a modern resort town with lots of beaches.  I wanted to see the Playa de Los Dedos (beach of the fingers), known for the giant statue that appears to be a hand reaching up from the sand.  But, we arrived at 7 a.m. and sail away at 2 p.m.  And because we're anchored so far from shore, it is a minimum of a 45 minute tender ride to shore each way.

Besides, I'll be getting off tomorrow in Buenos Aires and the next day in Montevideo - my two favorite cities in South America.  I'll be buying my fourth antique seltzer bottle in BA - I've bought one each trip there.  Not expensive and I love them.  Here's what they look like.

Here are some photos.  I'll take more as we sail away and add them from Buenos Aires tomorrow.

I can't get a photo that does justice to the small island we're anchored next to.

Punta del Este is larger than I expected, with a lot of highrises and huge beach resorts.


The beautiful island


MSC is stalking us.  I was hoping to see Ioane Asotasi because he's working on an MSC ship and we've been texting but they are doing the same ports here but a day later.  Talofai!

Breakfast of a crepe with lemon and some cantaloupe for breakfast with Punta del Este in the background.




This is why people say never be naked in your cabin.  I'd just gotten up and opened the drapes.  Luckily, I also threw on a robe because that's the roof of a tender that normally sits a couple of decks above me.  They lowered it for tendering.  Could have been a surprise for me and the guys on the boat.

I believe that breakfast delivered to me is one of life's great luxuries.  I order room service sometimes on sea days.  This was breakfast yesterday.  Yum.
Someone asked if I'm ready to go home since it's been 20 days, which for most, is a long cruise.  No.  And I suspect that I'll be no more ready to leave on May 12 than I am now.  I could live this way forever.... (or until they dragged me off because I ran out of money).

1 comment:

  1. Took my Mother to Puenta Del Este many years ago with a friend of hers sho had lived there. It was interesting! Too European for me. Like you I loved B.A. and Montvideo.

    ReplyDelete