Thursday, January 16, 2020

Random Stuff

Brace yourself, here comes some stream-of-consciousness stuff.  Random thoughts and observations.


  • At the comedian’s show the other night he asked if anyone was from a “podunk” town. A guy raised his hand and volunteered he was from a small town in Idaho.  The comedian asked how many people lived there. The passenger yelled “800 but only 400 speak English”. I wonder if he was surprised at the audible shock from his fellow passengers. 
  • It’s NFL play-off season.  They have four giant televisions in the sports bar, bring in extra chairs and pass out popcorn.  A lot of people wear their teams jerseys and there’s a lot of good natured taunting. Seahawks seem to be a fan favorite. 
  • Remember before the cruise when I was at a def con 10 level of excitement?  I kept hearing a little voice in my head shouting “You’re going on a cruise!”.  Exciting but annoying.

    The voice is back.  But now, at random moments, she yells “You’re on a cruise!”  which makes me grin wide and look a bit demented.
  • I still haven’t made it to MDR for anything except High Tea.  And I’ve only done that a few times but Supon, a waiter from Thailand still remembered my name.  Staff on HAL are remarkable.
  • Last night was typical.  I’d had tea at 3 so wasn’t very hungry.  I grabbed some cheese and bread to go with the grapes I already had in my cabin.  A perfect snack while watching more football. I also grabbed a double chocolate tart.  The tart was rich and decadent but I was intrigued by the garnish. I finally realized it was crushed Pavlova shells.  Brilliant idea.
  • Speaking of desserts, the other day I had the chocolate banana pie.  I took the first bite and it was delicious. But something looked peculiar.  I cut off another bite and burst out laughing. Instead of slicing the bananas they just put in a whole banana.  It actually worked just fine and I love seeing how they use foods that are getting a bit stale or over ripe.
  • I feel like a neophyte when talking to most of the passengers.  I met Gerta who is an active 86 year old from Orlando - she goes to Yoga at the YMCA with a friend of mine.  This is her fifth world cruise and she does other Grand World Voyages in between. The GWV are like shorter versions of the World Cruise.  60+ days to cruise the South Pacific or around Africa for example.

    I met another woman who is doing her 12th world cruise.
  • Yesterday I was leaving my cabin when Ms. Dolly came out of her cabin to tell to the cabin steward that she needed someone to walk her to the dining room for breakfast.

    I walked down and offered my services.  As we strolled down the hall we chatted.  I told her that I’d been on a world cruise with her in 2001.  She was legendary then.

    The rumor was that she lived on board the ship and hoped to die at sea.  A few years after that cruise I heard from one of the crew that sadly she had died, in port.

    Clearly not true because she looks exactly the same and is still cruising.  I asked her about the rumor (about living on the ship, not being dead) and she said noone can legally live on a ship.  She named a martime law (which I can’t remember) that says you can only remain at sea for nine consecutive months in a year before staying off the ship for awhile. 

    She said all those internet stories about cruising being a cheaper alternative to nursing homes are “fairy tales”.

    The rumor is that Ms. Dolly is 99.  Sounds about right but I didn’t ask.  She got on board this ship last September and will be getting off in May.
  • Hey, Millenials - I’ve been dong my best to defend your honor and point out that you are our future.  I have been in numerous conversations that turned into Millennial bashing. No work ethic, entitled, etc.  Thanks to all my young friends that I can use as glowing examples of hard working, caring and responsible people. 

    If you want to pay them back for their scorn of your entire generation, VOTE this November.
  • Passengers on this ship are generally well-traveled, educated and wealthy.  A lot of type A personalities. People accustomed to having their world exactly as they like it.  Except for the wealthy part, that includes me.

    Some take it further than others.  One guy was loudly telling someone about how much he’s cruised.  He then explained he has to have things a certain way so he brings with him his own blankets, sheets, pillows, coffee maker, spices and fresh ginger.
  • I’ve been gathering data, based on my shipboard observations.   Based on observing a l ot of elderly people I believe their long life can be attributed to a lot of cruising, exercise and ice cream.  A lot of ice cream. There is always a line for ice cream.
  • Staff nationalities.  Years ago HAL hired Dutch/American staff along with Filipino and Indonesian crew.  That has changed and there are now dozens of nationalities working on HAL ships. I’ve enjoyed talking to some of the Thai crew. One woman lives only about a mile from where I used to stay in Bangkok when I made my visa runs from Myanmar.  Her contract is up soon but she’s going to stay on for a month with her boyfriend as a “friend on board”. When she moves from waiter to passenger, we plan to hang out together.

    A Thai waiter and I chatted about Myanmar, since he’s traveled there alot.
  • Speaking of staff, I was so pleased to see that two crew from my first world cruise are still here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment