Thursday, January 9, 2020

January 4, 2020 - I'M ON A CRUISE!

The routine for boarding a ship is pretty much the same, in my experience,
regardless of which cruise line you sail on.  It’s pretty similar to arriving at an
airport and boarding a plane.


First, I waited in line to get into the cruise terminal.  Then I waited in line to be
allowed to get in the line to check in.  Then I went through security, much as a
TSA check at an airport. Then I waited in line to check in.  Then I sat comfortably
and waited to be allowed on the ship. Heidi dropped me off about 9:45 a.m. and I was
on the ship by about 11:45.  Some (including a lot of the priority cruisers) were
waiting in line much longer than two hours. I’m not sure why but I know that the
charming 12 year old boy  (ok, he was probably 20) who checked me in was friendly
and trying his hardest but it was his first day. I’m not sure why, on their most expensive
product, check in was less pleasant and organized than any other cruise I’ve been on.

I was in Boarding Group 1 (just behind the “priority” passengers who’ve spent
way more money on Holland America.)  Ironically, there were about 800 of the
priority passengers (people booked in suites and 4 Star Mariner and above) and
only 400 of us nobodies.  In this case, because the priority lines were so long, us
peons in group one got on before a lot of them.

I would like to commend Sue, the tiny spitfire of a woman responsible for separating
the wheat from the chaff as we prepared to board.  Or, in this case, open the rope
to allow the priorty passengers to head up an elevator to another waiting area.
Problems arose when some of the priority people weren’t given priority passes
when checking in.  Poor Sue took the brunt of the anger when the priorities
realized they were waiting with us peons. She also did a splendid job of
handling a fellow peon who took exception to having to wait to board.
After Sue politely explained we had to wait for the cabins to be cleaned he still
wasn’t happy.  Heidi would have given him a shot of Tequila.

Personally, I’m dying to know what was different in their waiting room.  We had
helpful crew passing out cookies, water and lemonade. I envision
passengers on chaise lounges with scantily clad young people feeding them grapes.

Once on board I easily found my cabin.  I’d been given a complimentary
upgrade from Cat. F (oceanview on deck 1 in either the front or back of ship). 
I am in cabin 1866 which is almost dead center on deck 1. The cabins are
identical but because I’m in the middle of the ship it is much quieter during
docking/leaving port and more stable so I don’t feel as much motion during rough seas.


I spent the next couple of hours wandering around the ship.  She is a bit worn
and showing the wear and tear of 20 years of service.  It seems a bit odd to
me that HAL chose to put the ship in drydock for refurbishment after the world
cruise instead of before.  In conversations today, it seems I’m not the only
one wondering about that.


At 3:30 p.m.  we had the obligatory life boat drill.  I hate them. I understand
their importance but starting a cruise by standing in close quarters in the heat
and sun is not my idea of how to get a vacation underway.  


Today was worse than usual.  They scan your key card to ensure that everyone
is present.  Apparently the scanners weren’t working correctly so we spent
over 15 minutes standing in a clump while they shouted cabin numbers
that hadn’t been properly scanned so they could be rescanned.  Then the
captain and cruise director came on and very, very slowly read the safety
information. The drill took over 25 minutes. During the process one woman
fainted and several elderly people near me were barely able to stand.


After the drill I headed to my cabin.  Happily, all three of my bags were in
my cabin and I unpacked.  Traveling alone on a cruise is expensive but on the
bright side, I have tons of storage space.  I have one closet with nothing in it.
I may consider renting it out to the people with 17 bags.


Sail away on the last two cruises was no big deal.  They had drink specials in
the Lido. Big deal. I was excited to see the preparations for our sail away. 
Crew were setting up cocktail tables in the Lido and lots of tables covered
with glasses of champagne, orange juice and mimosas.  A band was
setting up to provide live music. Even though sail away was scheduled
for 5 p.m., the free champagne began to flow at about 2:30 p.m.


After enjoying a burger and fries from the Dive In, I wandered around the ship. 
Just before our scheduled departure I headed back up to the pool area
at the very back of the ship.  It was a lovely evening to watch the other
six ships head out.

The captain came on the loud speaker to announce that because
they were still loading luggage and provisions we’d be leaving
late - between 7 and 8:00.  We ended up sailing away at 7:40.

I had a quiet evening watching football in my cabin then slept
like a rock.  A floating rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment