Monday, January 20, 2020

What Do People Wear on a World Cruise?

Like the passengers themselves, attire is varied.  Some passengers enjoy dressing up as part of the cruise experience.  Some don't.  Here are some tips:


  • Wear layers.  It is impossible to keep the ship a constant temperature.  And each part of the ship can change from day to day.  My "uniform" is slacks or capris, a blouse or t-shirt and a loose, flowy jacket of some type.  Luckily I own a lot of them because I believe that loose flowy jackets are like having a super power that hides fat.  Please don't try to correct me on that.  When I'm contemplating a dessert I prefer to rationalize that my jacket will hide the indiscretion.  Jackets are way easier than going to a spin class.
  • Fashion is in the eye of the wearer.  Typical attire during the day onboard is a t0shirt (often from a previous port), shorts and sandals or gym shoes.  I've recognized a couple of clothing items which makes me smile because I have them too.  Bought them at Sam's Club.
  • Do people dress up?  Yes!  Some dress like they're going to high tea all day, every day.  Full hair and make up.  I enjoy seeing them and appreciate the effort.  But they're in the minority.  Most of us look about the same as we do running to the grocery store at home.
  • What is "smart casual"?  There used to be formal nights, cocktail attire etc.  Now, it's either formal gala night or smart casual.  Smart casual means long pants, shirts/blouses that aren't t-shirts and shoes.  In other words, what you'd wear to a restaurant like Olive Garden rather than what you'd wear to the grocery store.  In the Lido, anything goes.  In the MDR, grocery store attire is fine for lunch but stepping it up just a smidge is typical at dinner.  Not required, however.
  • Gala nights - formal attire.  You will see it all.  Some stay in their grocery shopping clothes.  Others spend all day preparing - long gowns, fancy hair and fresh manicures.  I love to sit in the Ocean Bar and watch the couples in their gowns and suits or tuxedoes stroll past on their way to dinner.

    The majority of women take my approach.  a sparkly top, slinky black pants and fancy sandals. The majority of men wear at least a sports coat on Gala nights but some opt for tie, no jacket.
  • Should you wear your HAL bathrobe to dinner in the Lido.  No.  Never.  Just to clarify - robes are for your cabin, not the rest of the ship.  That is a hard and fast rule, just like the rule that you cannot wear pajamas and a robe on an airplane.  Sadly, that is just my rule and many Americans do not share my sense of decorum.  They are wrong.  Opinionated and judgey, aren't I?

    I'm happy to report that unlike on my recent trips on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam, I have not seen a single bathrobe in a public area.  And I bet not a single passenger wore pajamas on their flight to Ft. Lauderdale.  Depends, perhaps, but not pajamas.

    I have friends who do not share my views and believe that it doesn't hurt anyone else for people to wear whatever they like, wherever they are.  I believe it comes down to respect for yourself and others.

    To me, it's like bringing a baby to a fine dining restaurant.  I love babies and encourage parents to dine out.  But part of my fine dining experience is the atmosphere.  Quiet music, the sound of clinking silverware and wine glasses.  Not a screaming baby.  And the same with clothes.  If you want to roll out of bed and throw on yesterday's clothes that's fine.  But then please head to McDonalds, not a $100 a dinner restaurant.  Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment