Sunday, March 25, 2012

Just Show Up


I’d done my vegetable shopping at the market during the week so skipped going on Saturday, which is my normal routine.  It turned out to be a good thing.

My boss called Saturday morning and said some men were on their way to the school and I needed to let them in.  They were delivering new file cabinets and I have the only key to the school.  No one checked with me to see if I’d be home.  They just showed up.

That’s common here.  Several times other teachers or my boss have come to my house to get the key because they needed to get into the school.   No one has ever called first to see if I’d be here.  It’s not a problem for me, but would be a wasted trip for them if I happened to be away from home. 

 It is common for people from the Ministry of Education or Ministry of Health to show up for meetings unannounced.  People just change their plans and adjust.

As a management consultant I spent a lot of time coordinating meetings and schedules to make sure the right people were available and there was the least amount of inconvenience for all involved.  I could have saved a lot of time if I did it the Samoan way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment