The PC nurse was very empathetic yesterday and shares my concern that I've been on too many antibiotics. I've asked the two different doctors I've seen about my "rotting legs" problem and they, along with the nurse, say it's caused by bacteria that we all have on our skin. When I get a small break in the skin (bug bite, for example) it gets infected.
Because I'm in the tropics, the infection spreads quickly. I held off 1 day too long in going to the hospital to get antibiotics this time. I'm paying by having fever and general lethargy along with pain when I walk or stand. The fever isn't all bad. I kind of like the part when I have chills and my teeth are chattering. Only time I've been cold in Samoa.
Yesterday, the PC nurse suggested I try a preventative measure.
"Do you have access to a bathtub?" Did she really just ask me that? I have not seen a bathtub since I came to Samoa. I've seen the two most expensive, fanciest resorts on my island and there is not a bathtub to be found.
"How about a large tub that you could put water in?" Yeah, I got my laundry buckets.
"Try bathing once a week in water that is 9 parts water and 1 part Clorox." I don't like cold showers. But I'm not sure a sponge bath (or bird bath, as my mom used to call them) in bleach will be more fun.
Then again, if it prevents me from getting another giant hole in my leg, I'm all for it. I'll let you know how it works.