Monday, March 26, 2012

The Rat War is Back On


I didn’t get much sleep last night while the family was preparing for today’s funeral.  It didn’t help that I had two separate rat encounters during the night.  The Rat War is officially back on. 

The first time was at 2:13 a.m. when I made a trip to the bathroom.  Luckily I was sitting when the rat ran over my foot in his effort to escape.  Have I mentioned he likes to pee and poop on the toilet tank?  I didn’t even flinch.  I was too tired and have become used to rats.  There was one in the classroom yesterday, too.  Now, if he had jumped onto my back, that would have been a whole different story.  They might have had to start planning another funeral after I had my heart attack.

The second encounter was a bit more unnerving.  The first time, the rat was small and seemed more afraid than I was.  The second time was at 5:45 a.m. when I walked into the bathroom to brush my teeth. 

The 24 pound rat (ok, slight exaggeration, but he was definitely bigger than the other rat) was sitting on my bathroom sink.  He was smirking and seemed to be doing a Clint Eastwood imitation.   I’ve learned to always turn on the bathroom light to scare the rats away but this one seemed to appreciate the light.  We contemplated each other for a few moments before he swaggered off into a hole in the wall.

I’ve tried soap, toasted coconut and peanut butter which are all reputed to be the best rat bait possible.  I think they’re on to my trap.  I’m working on a new strategy.  Clint, my rat nemesis, better watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment