Friday, March 23, 2012

Samoan Food is Not Crunchy


The other day at the grocery store I was very excited when I saw iceburg lettuce.  It was only the fourth time since I came here.  The other times it was a bit slimy and was way over priced.

This time it was crisp and firm.  It was $6.50 a head but worth it.  Last night, I used some of it on a sandwich.  Tonight, I had a salad.  Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and tuna with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.   It was delicious.

It made me realize that most Samoan food is not crunchy.  Taro, rice, bananas, ramen, chicken.  All tasty, but not crunchy.  None have the feel in the mouth of lettuce.  There is cabbage and bok choy and carrots.  Most are cooked to death.   I have them raw or almost raw at home so they are crunchy, but I’m so tired of them.

After 17 months, I lust after a simple green salad of iceburg lettuce.  It was a very special treat this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment