Sunday, March 25, 2012

Thiings That Go Bump In The Night


Sunday was a quiet, rainy day.  I used the weather as an excuse to stay in.  I watched videos, I read, I worked on lesson plans and put final touches on the customer service training for resort staff.

About 9:30 p.m., the compound came alive.  Some of the guys built a fire to make a saka (big pot of boiled root vegetables, like taro or bananas).  The kids were running around yelling and playing.  The brothers who sleep in the house closest to mine cranked up the tunes.

I turned out the light about 10:30 p.m.  The commotion had quieted down.  Then I heard the loud thump at my window.  At first I thought it was one of the cats who’ve been visiting every night for rat hunting.  But what if it was a huge rat?  A giant, steroid-taking, enraged rat whose sole goal in life was to gnaw on a palagi? 

Ok, in the first few seconds after a surprising noise my imagination went wild.  I went to the window where the noise had come from.  I used the broom to move aside the curtain.  No giant rat or cat inside the window.  I girded my loins (what does that mean, exactly?) and flipped on the light to my bathroom.  I threw open the door.  Nothing.  Usually, if the cat comes in or out through the bathroom, she knocks stuff over on her way.  Nothing out of place.

The pigs have been banging against my house a lot lately, usually in the wee hours of morning or middle of the night.  But that’s usually accompanied by grunting (and wheezing, in the case of one pig.)  The bang sounded pig sized. 

Another one of life’s little mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment