Monday, January 29, 2024

Monday January 29 - Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico

 What a difference a few degrees in latitude makes.  The balcony was breezy this morning and the temperature only 72.  By the time we dock in Manzanillo it will be noon and the sun may be out and it is predicted to be 82.  Perfect, in my opinion.  

My plan today is get off the ship and stroll around the nearby historic center then have seafood for lunch.  I'm also on a quest to buy an eyebrow pencil.  If you are or know a woman of a certain age, you'll understand my dismay when I realized mine was running out. I love having a quest in ports where I plan to just wander.  I'll get to practice my bad Spanish and see some places outside the touristic parts of the city.  Yo quiero comprar un lapiz de cejas.  

Photos!

The sun is rising later as we head north.  I woke up about 6 to dark skies.  It was about 7 a.m. when I took this, Central Time.  It was too chilly and breezy on the balcony for my taste so I enjoyed the view from inside

The skies were getting lighter when I went to breakfast at 8 a.m.  I had oatmeal and V-8.  Since I have that most days and you've seen it, I didn't take a photo.  If you have a burning desire to see every bowl of oatmeal I consume, just let me know and I'm happy to oblige.  I will privately question your oatmeal obsession, though


If you look very, very carefully there is a tiny boat in the water

I was on the hunt for a lapiz de las cejas - an eyebrow pencil.  After asking a couple of people we found a make-up store just a couple of blocks from the port.  Then I started asking about a good seafood restaurant and was pointed to this place, which I'd seen on the internet.  Close to the port.  There were a lot of people from the ship, which I normally try to avoid, but the food and atmosphere were great






Clamato juice.  With beer.  It was the first time my Canadian friend had ever had one.  Are Bloody Caesar's just an Alberta thing? 

Excellent guacamole with lots of lime

A great octopus cocktail topped with avocado and leche de tigre

Perfectly tender octopus

The port area is clean with lots of statues.  It was 82 and humid.  Lovely in the open-air restaurant but sweaty walking in the sun

A statue for each of the horoscope signs




Manzanillo is known as the billfish capital of Mexico






I want a planter like this

I missed the chihuahua that was standing next to the sleeping cat.  The dog went back into the laundromat




Jodi surprised us with napkin origami.  Cool bird.  The service on this trip has been stellar

Dinner started with peaches and prosciutto

My main was hake with a yuzu sauce and collard greens and gnocchi

Dessert was chocolate cake

After dinner I hung out for awhile by the Sea View pool, enjoying the ideal weather and views



I so want an outdoor shower by my pool at home


The birds were back as we sailed away


How artsy is this?  Manzanillo from my balcony with my cabin reflected in the glass

No comments:

Post a Comment