Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Tuesday January 9 Devil's Island, French Guiana

 This is my second time in Devil's Island. The Island was made famous in the movie "Papillion" with Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen.  What a horrible place to be imprisoned.

My view at 6 a.m. 

The rain continued as I headed to breakfast. Because of the rain, use of tenders to go ashore, and the muddy conditions, I'm going to enjoy the day on the ship

I haven't been eating as many vegetables as usual so started my morning with a virgin Bloody Mary

Where the tenders pick up passengers. On one cruise I watched a woman fall and break her leg as the ship went one way and the tender went the other. Given my history of broken legs, I avoid tenders when possible


My favorite spot


The breakfast special was crepes with a ricotta filling. I was going to have oatmeal but there were crepes!



Oh look how artsy! Devil's Island through the door of the glass elevator

Free laundry is the best perk of being a 4 star Mariner on Holland America 









Lunch with a view by the Lido pool.  I had a cup of singing, a sour tamarind based soup with eggplant and salmon. At home I make it with shrimp, tilapia and Knorr tamarind soup base.

This hit the spot although i prefer mine a bit more sour

Dessert was a banana caramel cupcake



No comments:

Post a Comment