Saturday, January 20, 2024

Saturday, January 20 - St. George's Granada

 I've been to Granada before, on a cruise years ago.  It is known as The Spice Island because of the large nutmeg plantations.  This morning, as we slowly approach the island, I'm typing this on the balcony.  I'm wearing one of my old mu'umu'us (light cotton shapeless dress) from Samoa.  It is humid and comfortably warm.  The forecast for today is 86F and partly cloudy.  I predict this will be a two shower day. (I'm now back and showered again.)

I love being on the balcony, listening to the sounds of the waves.  Since the Amazon, I'm also hearing the sounds of the insects that joined us.  And today, I'm hearing the couple on the next balcony bicker about their plans for the day.  

Ok, back on board.  Lovely day but two large ships is one ship too many.  Jolanda and I got a driver for 4 hours for $100.  1/2 the price of a comparable shore excursion and we got to do what we wanted.  

Photos!

First view of the day - Granada as we cruised in



Yes, I would like to see this every morning

I'm fascinated by maritime pilots.  What badasses they are, climbing from a small boat onto a big ship to guide it into port

I didn't expect to pull in next to this behemoth

We shared a dock.  They are on a 7 day cruise.  We're on a four month cruise.  Admittedly, I only get to stay on for two months but still.

I had the breakfast special which was described as corn fritters with poached eggs.  Those look like pancakes to me but they were corny and delicious


Toooooo many people

Richard was an excellent driver and tour guide.  His card is below

Granada has Subway and Pizza Hut but no McDonalds or KFC.  But they've got this place



Hard to tell from this photo how much bigger the other ship is.  Almost twice the passengers as ours

Views from the fort

Yup, that's a prison





There were a lot of people selling BBQ on the streets.  Pork and chicken.  Fresh fish, btw, fresh off the boat is $4 a lb







In two weeks Grenada will celebrate their 50th year of Independence.  Lots of flags on display

Perhaps you know a doctor who graduated from this University?  It is a reputable school for medical school and more, with students from around the world




Carib beer!  A Trinidadian company.  It seems a lot of the big businesses are owned by people from outside the country


A typical menu

It's hard to tell from this photo, but this beach is filled with people.  For literally more than a mile.  My idea of hell.  Coming here to lie on the beach a foot away from another tourist was a shore excursion.  The water and sand are beautiful but too many people



I'm spoiled.  I lived on a beach in the South Pacific.  If I saw a few kids on the beach, that was a crowd.  This?  NO!






Small buses/vans are used for public transport and they have nice bus stations to stay out of the rain/sun

I found this place online.  Jolanda and I agree that lunch on shore should be a locals place and this did not disappoint.  

Sweaty, windblown and happy



Clever way to keep the paper napkins in place when there's a breeze

I had the ginger pork with pumpkin, rice and peas, plantain and salad.  About $10.  HUGE portion

Stewed conch







This tunnel was built in about 1886 and still working well.  Pedestrians and cars shared the road.  Roads are good but narrow and steep

It looked like someone grabbed an extension cord and plugged in the ship



The other ship had some fancy waters to welcome back hot passengers

We had more options, and a couple of people passing out cold, wet cloths.  Have I mentioned how spoiled I am?

Highly recommend Richard.  Good driver, knowledgeable about the history of the country and flexible

My view, back on the ship
The P&O ship was scheduled to leave before us but had a bunch of passengers were late getting back.  Yes, ships WILL leave you.  I've watched it happen, a couple of times



There's a huge bill fish tournament next week in Grenada.


Beet cured salmon for my starter.  With shrimp.  We've been getting a LOT of shrimp.  Not complaining!

Perfectly cooked strip steak.  That's blue cheese dressing for my fries.  Unfortunately, I forget to ask for a 1/2 portion.  That's a big steak

OMG - when I saw the "chocolate cake with carmelized popcorn" I wasn't overly impressed.  But could win as the best dessert yet.  And I'm not a big chocolate fan.  The caramel frosting was so decadent

They don't have stem ginger after dinner anymore but these hard ginger candies are excellent.  and STRONG

A chat with the assistant HVAC engineer?  I don't think I'll be able to sleep tonight!  (Seriously, I walked by on Sunday and the place was packed.  No sea views.  To discuss HVAC.  Maybe Netflix should do a series.)

No comments:

Post a Comment