Sunday, January 28, 2024

Sunday January 28 - At Sea

 Every day the Captain gives an update from the bridge at noon.  Today I was playing cards by the Lido pool when he came on.  He started "How'd everyone sleep last night?"  He asked because we hit one heck of a storm in the wee hours.  He said we could blame him for our disrupted sleep.

 I work up at 1:30 a.m.  I was having a nightmare about being in a car wreck.  As I woke up I realized the ship was rolling hard, shaking and creaking and groaning, which no doubt caused the car wreck dream.  I got up to use the toilet and it felt like I was climbing Everest but that quickly changed to rolling in the other direction.  I opened the drapes and saw a lot of whitecaps.  Because the wind sounded so powerful I opted not to try to open the door to the balcony.  Luckily, I rarely get motion-sick but the amount of movement and remnants of the dream kept me awake until almost 6.  I put out the "do not disturb" sign, texted Jolanda that I might not make breakfast, then fell back asleep until after 9.

Mario, one of my cabin stewards said a few passengers were seasick and balcony furniture in the cabins further back was blown around.  I keep my stuff in drawers/closets and had no problems.  Thankfully, we were running at full speed to make up time from leaving Balboa, Panama late so we were only in the storm for about six hours.

After "letting" Jolanda kick my butt at Skip Bo, I met her friend Berndt.  We talked for awhile then they headed off to activities and I enjoyed lunch while watching some sea turtles and either a dolphin or sailfish leaping out of the water.

Now, I'm watching the Baltimore/KC game while contemplating what I want to do in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico tomorrow.  I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico but haven't been here before.  It is known for it's beautiful beaches.  I am known for not hanging out in the sun on beaches.  We don't arrive until noon so I'm thinking a nice sea food lunch on shore and some shopping.  Not for typical tourist knick knacks.  I'm about out of "lapiz de cejas" - an eyebrow pencil.  Mine is running out and I have invisible eyebrows.  

Meanwhile, tonight is "dressy" (formerly "formal") night.  I'll be wearing another sparkly outfit.  Well, I had my outfit planned but opted for room service and the Lions game.  I was hoping the game would be so one-sided at half-time that I could skip the second half and join Jolanda and Berndt for dinner.  Nope.  The Lions were firmly in the lead but as a long-time fan I knew that could change.  And it did.  I'm trying to bear up.  I can't imagine the mood in Ford Field during the second half.  The home of the Lions was packed, even though the game was played in California.

Not a lot of photos today but a few.

Amazing view when I woke up after the very stormy night

I missed breakfast!  But survived.  Here's lunch.  Pepper shrimp with a couple pieces of sushi.  I went back for more sushi

I ate dessert while watching the Raven's QB catch his own pass.  A scone and the bars (I swear, I only asked for one but she gave me two and I hate to waste food so ate it.  I'm noble that way.) The bars tasted like a pecan pie but had macadamia nuts in it. Also had macadamias on the oatmeal yesterday.  I don't know why they've suddenly appeared but I'm all for it 


I'm planning to look for this place for lunch tomorrow in Manzanillo, Colima, Mexico.  Colima, btw, is the state.  I've traveled quite a bit in Mexico but haven't been to Colima

This pulled pork sub with coleslaw has been on the room service menu forever but I'd never tried it.  I ate it without the bun and it was tasty

If you like chocolate cake and you're on a HAL ship, order this from room service.  It is not the same chocolate cake that's served in the Lido or MDR.  It is delicious

I missed the sunset view while watching football but Jolanda shared this photo

No comments:

Post a Comment