Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Wednesday January 24 - Panama Canal

 This is my fourth time transiting the Canal but it never gets old. I'll be posting photos and factoids throughout the days.  The photos are in reverse order for now.  We started under the Atlantic Bridge about 6:30 a.m., then into the Gatun Locks.  Next, Gatun Lake which is beautiful and the largest man-made body of water in the world.  Next comes the Culebra Cut and the Centennial Bridge.  The Pedro Miguel Lock comes next, followed by the Miraflores Locks.  We're scheduled to pass under the Bridge of the Americas into the Pacific Ocean about 5:00 p.m. this evening.

We made it!  It took all day.  Bless her heart, Kimberly the Cruise Director must be exhausted.  She described the action all. day. long.

We're now officially in the Pacific Ocean.  We're stopping at anchor for a few hours this evening to refuel then will have a sea day tomorrow.  On Friday, Quepos Costa Rica.

Completely unrelated to the Canal (thank goodness, right?), I stopped in the Ocean bar during happy hour to pick up some cans of club soda to stock the fridge in my cabin.  1/2 half price during happy hour.  Two couples sitting at the bar seemed to take offence.  They didn't say anything to me directly but were discussing people who take advantage and "will ruin" happy hour for everyone by getting beverages to go, just to save money.  With all due respect.  Bite me.  I just smiled and walked away, with my 1/2 price sodas.

Please enjoy more photos of the Panama Canal than you ever imagined.  I'm not sure why, but some photos are out of order.  I'll work on fixing that during all the upcoming sea days on our way to Hawaii, then Japan.  Sorry!

My cabin faced west all day and my balcony was toasty by the time we went through the last locks.  I'd gone into the air conditioning but stepped out to take a few more photos. I could have hit this building with a baseball, we were so close







Dinner started with the smoked salmon rosettes and shrimp salad.  I have yet to have had a bad dish on this cruise

This is the amazing beef Wellington.  I love that HAL keeps some of the old-fashioned items on the menu

You can't go wrong with the decadent red velvet cake











































Brunch on the balcony as we went through the Gatun Locks.  Yes, that's smoked salmon







The Tugs or mules cost up to $11 million. They use a cog system to get up and down the locks. They don't pull the ship but keep it centered.  The newer locks only need 2 mules per ship


Not a bad view for breakfast






































































1 comment:

  1. Your bar fans were just jealous they didn't think of that first. 😄

    ReplyDelete